Methods Analytics is currently recruiting for a Data Architect to join our teamon a permanent basis. This role will be remote but require flexibility to travel to client sites, and our offices in London, Sheffield and Bristol
About Methods Analytics:
Methods Analytics exists to improve society by helping people make better decisions with data. Combining passionate people, sector-specific insight and technical excellence to provide our customers an end-to-end data service. We use a collaborative, creative and user centric approach data to do good and solve difficult problems. And ensure that our outputs are transparent, robust and transformative.
We value discussion and debate as part of our approach. We will question assumptions, ambition and process – but do so with respect and humility. We relish difficult problems, and overcome them with innovation, creativity and technical freedom to help us design optimum solutions. Ethics, privacy and quality are at the heart of our work and we will not sacrifice these for outcomes. We treat data with respect and use it only for the right purpose. Our people are positive, dedicated and relentless. Data is a vast topic, but we strive for interactions that are engaging, informative and fun in equal measure. But maintain a steely focus on outcomes and delivering quality products for our customers.
The Technical Architect will be:
- Specialising in cloud platforms, applications, data and supporting infrastructure
- Working with other members of the delivery team across a mix of large and small projects and be responsible for translating data into valuable insights that inform decisions for small to large transformation projects and programmes
- Translating business problems into technical designs, creating optimal designs through iterative processes, aligning user needs with organisational objectives and system requirements
- Advocating the business benefit of data standards, championing and governing those standards across projects and the organisation.
- Able to recognise and exploit business opportunities to ensure efficient and effective performance of organisations, developing and setting architecture standards for an organisation
- Demonstrating an overall perspective on business issues, events and activities, and an understanding of their wider implications and long-term impact. This will include determining patterns, standards, policies, roadmaps and vision statements
- Making and guiding effective decisions, explaining clearly how the decision has been reached with the ability to understand and resolve technical disputes across varying levels of complexity and risk.
- Communicating effectively across organisational, technical and political boundaries to understand the context and how to make complex and technical information and language simple and accessible for non-technical audiences.
- Understanding of how to expose data from systems (for example, through APIs), link data from multiple systems and deliver streaming services.
- Ensuring that risks associated with deployment are adequately understood and documented.
Ideal Candidates will demonstrate:
- Ability to look beyond the immediate technical problem and identify the wider implications
- Solid experience in a range of technologies and be able to make assessments as to what is best to be used for the projects and the organisation. As well as suggest and develop innovative approaches within constrained projects and environments.
- Experience in designing technical services, selecting from a core set of digital platforms and technologies
- Strong experience in software development, change / release management processes, and technical governance to fully understand the typical lifecycle and maintenance of live systems.
- Solid infrastructure design experience for both on-prem and cloud, to implement or migrate applications and databases to Azure and AWS.
- Have experience of functional and non-functional testing including automated deployment experience of applications and databases.
- Understanding of the government digital service manual and standards across Discovery/Alpha/Beta/Live phases.
- Understanding of SaaS, PaaS, IaaS technologies and the implications of their use compared with bespoke development.
- Effective communication across organisational, technical and political boundaries, understanding the context of the project.
- An ability to make complex technical information and language simple and accessible for non-technical audiences.
- The ability to translate technical concepts, advocate and communicate the functions of the team to create trust and authenticity, and can respond to challenge.
- An ability to translate business requirements into technical specifications
- Attention to detail and ability to QA own and other team member’s work
- Being able to provide training, support and mentoring to the wider business
- Awareness of and ability to keep up to date with advances in data services and architectural practices.
- Knowledge of how to ensure that risks associated with deployment are adequately understood and documented.
Desirable Skills & Experience:
- Exposure to high performing, low latency or large volume data systems (i.e. 1 billion+ records, terabyte size database)
- You can make and guide effective decisions, explaining clearly how the decision has been reached.
- You must have the ability to understand and resolve technical disputes across varying levels of complexity and risk.
- Design or operation of a range of Azure or AWS hosted Analytics applications, databases or services, including Machine Learning
- Worked as part of multi-disciplinary project team. For example, collaboration with UR/UX
Methods Analytics is passionate about its people; we want our colleagues to develop the things they are good at and enjoy.
By joining us you can expect
- Autonomy to develop and grow your skills and experience
- Be part of exciting project work that is making a difference in society
- Strong, inspiring and thought-provoking leadership
- A supportive and collaborative environment
As well as this, we offer:
Development access to LinkedIn Learning, a management development programme and training
Wellness 24/7 Confidential employee assistance programme
Social – office parties, pizza Friday and commitment to charitable causes
Time off 25 days a year
Pension Salary Exchange Scheme with 4% employer contribution and 5% employee contribution
Discretionary Company Bonus based on company and individual performance
Life Assurance of 4 times base salary
Private Medical Insurance which is non-contributory (spouse and dependants included)
Worldwide Travel Insurance which is non-contributory (spouse and dependants included)
Benefits Platform offering various retail and leisure discounts