Mapbox is the leading real-time location platform for a new generation of location-aware businesses. Mapbox is the only platform that equips organizations with the full set of tools to power the navigation of people, packages, and vehicles everywhere. More than 3.9 million registered developers have chosen Mapbox because of the platform’s flexibility, security, and privacy compliance. Organizations use Mapbox applications, data, SDKs, and APIs to create customized and immersive experiences that delight their customers.
We are looking for a Tax Manager to join our Finance team! You will be our first internal tax hire and will play a key role in planning and implementing Mapbox’s global tax strategy. The ideal candidate will be a self-starter and hands on tax accountant with a strong understanding of both income and indirect taxation.
What You'll Do
- Oversee income tax, sales & use tax, gross receipts tax, franchise tax, value added tax, business tax and licenses, and property tax returns and filings, among others
- Coordinate with external teams and own the annual tax provision
- Manage tax calendar to ensure timely compliance with filing obligations.
- Respond to various government tax agency audit, notices and requests.
- Assist with the review of quarterly transfer pricing calculations and journal entries.
- Assist with the analysis of tax planning, analysis of income tax consequences of non-standard transactions, and cross-functional business initiatives
- Prepare apportionment detail for state income tax calculations.
- Perform tax account analysis and month end reconciliations relating to all tax accounts.
- Prepare tax footnotes and disclosures
- Remain current on new tax legislation and tax accounting rules. Identify, assess and document the tax implications of any such changes. Continuously monitor sales & use and corporate tax nexus.
- Assist with corporate entity compliance, U.S. and international registrations as well as new entity formation.
- Support the company's sales and legal teams by providing guidance of tax implications during the deal negotiation process.
- Responsible for maintaining all third party software related to indirect sales tax (i.e. Avalara, Stripe, etc.)
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting required
- Master’s degree in taxation preferred
- CPA (or in the examination/licensing process) preferred
- Minimum 6-10 years of tax experience required; Software or Big 4 experience a plus
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Excel (VLOOKUP and pivot tables)
- Experience with Netsuite, Avalara, and Stripe is a plus
- Strong verbal and written communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills
- Must be detail-oriented, analytical, and able to multi-task with an attention for accuracy
- Must be dependable with ability to problem solve and function independently
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders: