Founded in 2013, NationSwell is an award-winning social impact company that helps changemakers, thought leaders and purpose driven business executives drive social impact at scale. Through a robust membership model and the nation’s leading social impact studio, NationSwell supports these impact leaders on a range of the most pressing issues, such as racial justice and economic opportunity, environmental sustainability and the future of work, as well as supporting them on the practice of social impact of CSR/ESG strategy, building champions, allies and partners and employee engagement. NationSwell’s membership community of the nation’s leading social impact practitioners includes: AARP, Starbucks, Salesforce, Nike, Microsoft, Verizon, KKR, Morgan Stanley, Schmidt Futures, and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
NationSwell is a certified B Corp, which means we are organized to achieve our social impact objectives, and our profits are inextricably linked to achieving that mission. We hold ourselves accountable every day to the values of Integrity, Excellence, Inclusion, Innovation, Inspiration and Teamwork. Our team, and the leaders we work with, believe in the power of community to solve our most pressing issues.
The NationSwell Studio is the nation’s leading social impact studio. As part of the NationSwell ecosystem, the Studio is embedded in a unique community of purpose-driven leaders and experts, and we are committed to helping our partners take their impact to the next level through strategy, storytelling and audience engagement. Our sweet spot is distilling complex social issues into compelling human stories, moving influential audiences to action and centering impacted communities in all that we do. Clients include progressive corporations, leading philanthropies, and cutting edge nonprofits, such as AARP, Einhorn Collaborative, Greater Good Science Center, The Mission Continues, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, Samsung NEXT, Schultz Family Foundation, Starbucks, TENT, and Toyota.
NationSwell is seeking a Strategist to join the NationSwell Studio team to help develop, deliver and implement innovative strategies, frameworks, events, campaigns, and collaborations – all with impact at the forefront. You will be part of a powerhouse team that delivers strategic and creative engagements, think: developing an impact plan for a global foundation, researching best-in-class CSR programs for a cutting-edge corporation, or developing audience-driven insights for a media series on impactful communities.
The Strategist role is rooted in the ability to understand organizational and community needs and translate them into action for a diverse array of partners. Ultimately, you are a passionate problem solver who is both a self-starter and a team player.
The salary range for this role is $75,000-$90,000 annually.
What will you do?
- Help to develop the strategy frameworks for projects, ensuring the work is optimized to create social impact and meet the goals of our partners.
- Play an instrumental role in the research phase of our project work – such as developing research approaches, preparing interview guides and outreach, conducting desk research, formulating insights and personas, & analyzing and synthesizing data sets.
- Support the team in translating insights into recommendations that will shape the directions of projects, guide clients to NationSwell’s offerings, and make recommendations that will enhance their work.
- Be a thought partner to the strategy, program management, and creative teams on projects, making suggestions and recommendations based on research and experience.
- Develop clear, compelling client presentations that play back strategic insights and brand/organizational narratives.
- Help define key audiences and segmentations for impact strategies and campaigns, backed by quantitative data and qualitative insights.
- Help proactively innovate the Studio’s strategic approach and offer in a way that responds to market need, centers inclusivity, leverages our unique assets, and applies commercial rigor to our approach.
- Grow and work with a small team of strategists, program managers and creatives.
What are you like?
Successful candidates will:
- Have experience bringing research and/or strategy to life at a nonprofit, foundation, or social impact company or have worked in consulting at a creative/strategic/design agency.
- Thrive working on multiple projects at once – you can easily integrate into a new project and switch modes between deep ‘heads down’ work and client facing meetings.
- Know how to create deliverables – whether a notes document to capture a conversation or a presentation to partners, you can confidently and nimbly create deliverables that are rigorous and compelling, telling a story and making clear recommendations.
- Be a good listener – always listening for the needs and desires beneath the surface with our research and with our client partners.
- Be proactive and forward-thinking — not waiting to be asked to do tasks but always thinking ahead and stepping up to move things forward, suggesting solutions to challenges.
- Have an innate curiosity – you enjoy working with and interfacing with many different types of people and organizations and are always asking questions to learn more.
- Entrepreneurial & able to navigate ambiguity – you have an entrepreneurial spirit, willing to engage in creative problem solving when there isn’t a lot of direction or clarity.
- Enjoy working collaboratively and cross-functionally on a remote team.
- Willing to roll up sleeves and be adaptive – has the ability to dig in with a “can-do” attitude who isn’t afraid of analytical rigor or evolving workstreams.
- Be comfortable joining a project team from start (visioning) to finish (executing).
- Experience working in social impact or in a consulting role shaping strategic endeavors, including: designing and deploying research (quantitative and qualitative), workshop design and facilitation, strategic synthesis and recommendations, creating and delivering presentations
- Strong communications skills (oral, written) & ability to create deliverables (presentations, white papers, research synthesis)
Nice to have:
- Understands the core principles of human-centered design
- Understands audience segmentation and persona development
- Has worked on a media or content campaign
We know that having a positive team culture is essential to achieving our goals, so we put time and effort into making NationSwell an encouraging, energizing, and exciting place to work. We are proud to be a certified B Corp. Here are just a few of the ways we celebrate our staff and culture at NationSwell.
- Health and Wellness: Health, dental, and vision insurance, an EAP, HSA, FSA, and other wellness benefits for you + your family
- Family-friendly: Six weeks of paid parental leave
- Work-Life Balance: Unlimited paid time off and flexible schedules to encourage your work-life balance
- Giving Back: Paid time off for employees to volunteer for causes that matter to them and internal moments to celebrate it
- Remote Work Support: A stipend to help you set up your desired home office
- Transit: A fully-covered Citi Bike membership and pre-tax transit benefits to help you get to where you’re going
- Net Purpose + Culture Index: Measure of our employee’s sense of purpose and engagement with our Mission
- Your Savings: Employees are offered a 401k account, and we match a portion of each contribution
NationSwell is committed to creating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are dedicated to building a workforce that celebrates diversity and equity and believe that inclusivity plays an important role in our decision-making process, both in staffing and in work product.