Fastly helps people stay better connected with the things they love. Fastly’s edge cloud platform enables customers to create great digital experiences quickly, securely, and reliably by processing, serving, and securing our customers’ applications as close to their end-users as possible — at the edge of the Internet. The platform is designed to take advantage of the modern internet, to be programmable, and to support agile software development. Fastly’s customers include many of the world’s most prominent companies, including Vimeo, Pinterest, The New York Times, and GitHub.
We're building a more trustworthy Internet. Come join us.
Staff Software Engineer – Product Experience TLS
You'll be joining a capable team of engineers building and supporting Fastly’s TLS products. You will be passionate about innovating to delight and support customers while collaborating with support partners.
You will become knowledgeable in the TLS domain and use your experience to solve complex problems iteratively. You will design solutions that include considerations for scalability and long-term maintainability. You will propose, build, and document Ruby-based APIs, contribute to code reviews for your peers, and discuss features with Product partners. You should expect to work closely with UI engineers and designers for feature work requiring user interfaces. You should also expect to interact regularly with our support partners to understand customer issues, address them, and actively improve how we handle them.
As we continue to scale our TLS capabilities, you will have a chance to learn or continue your skills in Go as we decide which small and impactful areas would most benefit from this type of implementation.
You'll support, and be supported by, the members of the evolving Product Experience team.
What You’ll Do
- Work collaboratively with customer support, product, peers, and other engineering teams to make tomorrow's customer experience more self service and intuitive than today's
- Take ownership of features from start to finish, facilitating review and discussion with peers and partners, and ensuring features as implemented meet product requirements
- Work in close partnership with your engineering leaders to build out and execute on everything from project design to engineering standards
- Clearly communicate upward and outward to set and adjust expectations with your manager and partners
- Continue growing as an engineer while contributing to the codebase and culture
- Make your support available to your team when and where they need it — a time zone compatible with the continental US, where your team will be, is a must for this role
What We’re Looking For
- Experience writing elegant and maintainable Ruby and/or Go code
- Experience building products at scale that actively take customer feedback into account
- A passion for learning, and sharing what you’ve learned with others
We value a variety of voices, so this is not a laundry list. You’ll be a good candidate if you have experience in SOME of these:
- Ruby development
- Go development
- TLS domain knowledge
- Server-side development experience
- API-development experience
- Security-focused products.
In accordance with applicable law, Fastly’s minimum base pay for this role if hired in Colorado is $169,000 per year. Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Fastly's equity plan. Final offer amount will be at the company’s sole discretion and determined by multiple factors, including years and depth of experience and expertise, location and other business considerations. Note that this role is available to candidates outside of Colorado and different minimum compensation may apply.
Fastly is proud to deliver a strong total rewards program to our employees. This role is eligible to participate in the following benefits:
- Health benefits (medical, dental, and vision)
- Medical: Cigna or Kaiser available
- Retirement benefits and employer match
- Life Insurance (Basic and Voluntary Life)
- Short & Long Term Disability with a buy-up LTD option
- Voluntary Accident & Critical Illness benefits
- Flex Spending Accounts & Mass Transit benefits
- Open Vacation Policy
- Sick Time
- Generous leave benefits (medical, maternity, paternity, and personal)
- Paid wellness days
- Employee Assistance Program
- Learning & reimbursement program stipend
- Mobile and internet allowance
- Wellness stipend
- Pet insurance
Fastly reserves the right to amend or modify for any reasons in accordance with applicable law.
We have a huge impact. Fastly is a small company with a big reach. Not only do our customers have a tremendous user base, but we also support a growing number of open source projects and initiatives. Outside of code, employees are encouraged to share causes close to their heart with others so we can help lend a supportive hand.
We love distributed teams. Fastly’s home-base is in San Francisco, but we have multiple offices and employees sprinkled around the globe. In fact, 50% of our employees work outside of SF! An international remote culture is in our DNA.
We care about you. Fastly works hard to create a positive environment for our employees, and we think your life outside of work is important too. We support our teams with great benefits like up to 20 weeks of paid parental leave, options for free medical/dental/vision plans, and an open vacation program that enables our folks to take the time they need to recharge (some benefits may vary by location).
We value diversity. Growing and maintaining our inclusive and diverse team matters to us. We are committed to being a company where our employees feel comfortable bringing their authentic selves to work and have the ability to be successful — every day.
We are passionate. Fastly is chock full of passionate people and we’re not ‘one size fits all’. Fastly employs authors, pilots, skiers, parents (of humans and animals), makeup geeks, coffee connoisseurs, and more. We love employees for who they are and what they are passionate about.
We’re always looking for humble, sharp, and creative folks to join the Fastly team. If you think you might be a fit, please apply!
Fastly is committed to ensuring equal employment opportunity and to providing employees with a safe and welcoming work environment free of discrimination and harassment.
Employment decisions at Fastly are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, family or parental status, disability*, age, veteran status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Fastly encourages applicants from all backgrounds.
*Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to reasonable accommodation under the terms of the Americans with Disabilities Act and certain state or local laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the way things are normally done which will ensure an equal employment opportunity without imposing undue hardship on Fastly. Please inform us if you need assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.