Staff Data Engineer
joinhandshake Remote (USA), San Francisco, Seattle, Los Angeles, Chicago, Austin, New York Full-time 2022-07-28
We are thrilled to announce Handshake’s $200M Series F funding round. At Handshake, we believe that a career opportunity shouldn’t be determined by who you know or what you’ve done. It’s about what you can – and will – do. Your future, not your past. Our Series F fundraise and new valuation of $3.5B will fuel our next phase of growth and propel our mission to help more people start, restart, and jumpstart their careers.
Handshake is the #1 place to launch a career with no connections, experience, or luck required. Handshake’s community includes 20 million students and young alumni around the world from 1,400 educational institutions, including four-year colleges, community colleges, boot camps, and 290+ minority-serving institutions. The platform connects up-and-coming talent with 650,000+ employers – from Fortune 500 companies like Google, Nike, and Target to thousands of public school districts, healthcare systems, nonprofits, and even sports teams like the LA Dodgers. Handshake is headquartered in San Francisco with offices in Denver, New York, and London and teammates working globally.
Everyone is welcome at Handshake. We know diverse teams build better products and we are committed to creating an inclusive culture built on a foundation of respect for all individuals. We strongly encourage candidates from non-traditional backgrounds, historically marginalized or underrepresented groups to apply.
If you are not sure that you’re 100% qualified, but up for the challenge – we want you to apply. We believe skills are transferable and passion for our mission goes a long way.
Handshake is building a diverse team of dynamic engineers who value creating a high quality, high impact product. You will use your technical knowledge to drive the architecture, implementation and evolution of the data platform we are current developing. You will also be working with product teams helping millions of students find meaningful careers regardless of where they go to school, who their parents know, or how much money they have.
We're focused on building a data platform that will ensure all teams are capable of creating data-driven features, and all sides of the business have access to the right data to make the correct decisions.
- Working closely with product managers and product engineers to ship data-driven features
- Collaborating with engineering teams to best expose data in a consumer product
- Closely interact with analytics engineers, data scientists, analysts, and infrastructure teams to design pipelines and warehousing solutions
- Design, implement and build data solutions that deliver data with measurable quality under the SLA from ingestion to consumption.
- You have a consistent track record of designing and implementing scalable, robust data pipelines, data services and data products.
- You have a solid understanding of micro services and experience exposing data in a consumer product.
- You have experience working with tracking systems, click streams and session analytics.
- You have experience providing technical leadership and mentoring other engineers for best practices on data engineering.
- You are proud of your craft, and enjoy and value clean code that scales to keep large teams productive.
- You have the ability to navigate between big-picture and implementation details.
Bonus Areas of Expertise
- You have experience debugging and creatively solving problems in the data landscape
- Experience developing data marts and creating and enforcing access/governance
- Experience in Spark or other distributed data applications
- Experience with any of the following:
- Google Cloud Platform data technologies (BigQuery, DataFlow, etc)
$232,772 – $258,636
At Handshake, we'll give you the tools to feel healthy, happy and secure.
- Stock: Ownership in a fast-growing company.
- Hub-Based Remote Work: Handshakers can enjoy the flexibility of remote work whilst ensuring in-person collaboration, and team experiences remain possible.
- Financial Management with Origin: We provide you with a professional financial planner via Origin to gain a better understanding of making the most of your compensation, equity, benefits, and perks.
- Paid Parental Leave: All new parents at Handshake (both birth and non-birth giving) are encouraged to take time to focus on their growing family and are eligible for paid family leave. US Handshakers are provided up to 16 weeks of paid family leave for birth-giving parents and 10 weeks for non-birth-giving parents.
- Mental Health Assistance: We are here to support you in every step of your mental health journey; our benefits include Employee Assistance Programs that offer counseling support for those eligible.
- Home Office Stipend: Handshake offers $500/£360 for you to spend on setting up a productive and comfortable workspace at home.
- Learning: Learning & Development opportunities and an annual $2,000/£1,500 stipend for you to grow your skills and career.
- Team Bonding: Regularly scheduled virtual company-wide and team events! Once it’s safe, we’ll provide meaningful connection points throughout the year for Handshakers to build community and meet teammates in person.
- Great team: Working with fun, hardworking, nice people who are committed to making a difference!
- 401k: We care about your ability to save for your future. Launching Spring 2022, Handshake will offer a dollar-for-dollar match on 1% of deferred salary, up to a maximum of $1,200 per year.
- Healthcare: World-class medical, dental, and vision policies including LGTBQ+ Coverage.
- 2022 Time Off: All full-time US-based Handshakers are eligible for our flexible time off policy to get out and see the world. We also offer 8 standardized holidays, 2 additional days of flexible holiday time off, and 2 one-week periods of Collective Time Off (7/4-7/8/2022) and (12/26-12/30/2022).
- Pension: Handshake matches 3% of your salary towards your pension scheme.
- Healthcare: Handshake's comprehensive healthcare policy covers 100% of employee premiums & 100% of dependent premiums for medical, dental, and vision benefits.
- 2022 Time Off: Up to 25 days of vacation to encourage people to reset, recharge, and refresh, in addition to 8 bank holidays throughout the year.
Interested in what Handshake’s San Francisco HQ is like when we’re together? Check out this video: