At HashiCorp, we’re building a generation-defining infrastructure software company, powered by our core principles and a growing team of talented, committed professionals working together to help organizations seamlessly transition to and operate in the cloud. Founded in 2012 and headquartered in San Francisco, 85 percent of our employees work remotely, strategically distributed around the globe. From our inception we built the company with a remote-first approach because we believe talent has no boundaries.
Sr. Support Engineer – Terraform Enterprise
Home office, based in Netherlands
About the Role
HashiCorp is looking for a high-caliber customer facing engineering professional to join its Support Engineering team as a Sr. Support Engineer for Terraform Enterprise products for the EMEA based team.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a fast paced team and have a direct impact on HashiCorp’s growing business. This highly visible position will be an integral part of both the support engineering and Terraform Enterprise teams. You are a fit if you thrive in a fast-paced culture that values essential communication, collaboration, and results. This person is a self-motivated, detailed individual with an eye for communication, automation, process improvement, and problem solving.
Reporting to the Sr. Manager, Support Engineering, this Sr. Support Engineer will be a key member of the Customer Success organization and will directly impact customer satisfaction and success.
This individual will solve sophisticated issues related to Terraform and Terraform Enterprise and independently work to find viable solutions. They will contribute to product growth and development via weekly product and marketing meetings. They will attend customer meetings as needed to help identify, debug and resolve customer issues and are expected to be a liaison between the customer and HashiCorp engineering.
In this role you can expect to:
- Reproduce and debug customer issues by using or building test environments and tools.
- Daily queue management for the team, ensuring all tickets are assigned and SLAs met
- Manage all incoming SEV-1s or handoffs to EMEA time zone, ensure the on-call Support Engineer has support while troubleshooting and updates to leadership are provided as necessary
- Ensure smooth handoffs of all pertinent tickets between time zones
- Collaborate as one team with all global teams
- Document and record all activity and communication with customers in accordance to both internal and external security standards
- Attend product engineering meetings to discuss issues pertinent to support
- Collaborate with engineers, sales engineers, sales representatives, and customer success to follow up on customer issues for the team, ensuring the troubleshooting process moves smoothly.
- Contribute to product documentation, customer knowledge base, and best practices guides
- Work on reporting and trending to help determine areas of improvement, training and product revision.
- Continuously improve process and tools for normal, repetitive support tasks
- On-call escalation point for the team.
- Holistic understanding of Terraform/Terraform Enterprise and the interaction with other HashiCorp Product Suite
- Successfully perform all common work flows within Terraform Enterprise
- 1 contribution to extend or improve product documentation or install guides
- Successfully play with all the elements in Terraform Guide (https://www.terraform.io/docs/enterprise/index.html).
- Ability to triage and communicate to Level 1 & 2 inquiries independently
- Ability to provision and bootstrap Terraform/Terraform Enterprise with all the sophisticated features without assistance
- Ride along on 1-2 live customer debugging calls
- Author 1 “customer knowledge base” article from area of subject matter expertise
- Understanding of internal processes and communication flow
- Ability to effectively communicate proactively with Leadership
- Ability to effectively fix and respond to a production down issue with minimal assistance
- Ability to take any Terraform ticket without assistance
- Ability to independently find points of error and identify root cause by examining log files
- Ability to create ongoing KB articles that will benefit all customers
- Ability to effectively manage incoming SEV-1s independently
- Ability to manage the ticket queue
- Successfully pass the Terraform Certification Exam
You may be a good fit for our team if you have:
- At least 5 years of Support Engineering experience.
- A minimum of 5 years DevOps Engineering, Software Engineering, or System Administration experience
- Strong preference for practitioner or production experience with Terraform/Terraform Enterprise or Terraform Cloud
- Experience with scripting tool of choice to help automate reproduction environments (for example, Bash, Python, PowerShell)
- Ability to read sophisticated code (Go) for troubleshooting and familiarity with Github
- Experience with REST APIs and command line tools
- Strong written and verbal communication skills — technical writing experience a plus
- Well-organized, excellent work ethic, attention to detail, and self-starting
- Experience troubleshooting and resolving urgent, high-visibility technical problems
- Familiarity with Distributed Systems, Microservice architecture, and Containers
- Interest in cloud adoption and technology at scale
- Excellent problem solving, analytical, and troubleshooting skills
- Some experience in reporting or data trends (explore, zendesk, tableau etc.,)
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, IT, Technical Writing, or equivalent professional experience.
HashiCorp embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We believe the more inclusive we are, the better our company will be. #LI-LH1 #LI-remote
HashiCorp embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We believe the more inclusive we are, the better our company will be.