Software Engineer Intern, AI – Machine Learning
dataminr Remote - United States Full-time 2022-07-28
–COVID-19 Hiring Update–
As the health and safety of our candidates and our employees come first, we're excited to provide virtual experiences for interviews and new hire on-boarding.
Who we are:
Dataminr puts real-time AI and public data to work for our clients, generating relevant and actionable alerts for global corporations, public sector agencies, newsrooms, and NGOs. Our leading AI platform detects the earliest signals of high-impact events and emerging risks from vast amounts of publicly available information. Our real-time alerts enable tens of thousands of users at hundreds of public and private sector organizations to learn first of breaking events around the world, develop effective risk mitigation strategies, and respond with confidence as crises unfold.
Dataminr is making its mark for growth and innovation, recently earning recognition on the Deloitte Technology Fast 500, Forbes AI 50 and Forbes Cloud 100 lists. We also earned accolades for ‘Most Innovative Use of AI’ from the 2020 AI & Machine Learning Awards.
Join our team and help the world manage risk in real time. You’ll work with 800+ talented people across eight offices, united by our passion to collaborate, make a difference, and have fun while doing it!
Who you are:
You're an experienced software engineer with superb software development skills interested in helping us sort, analyze and deliver relevant information from terabytes of data. As well as setting technical direction for significant parts of our microservices based architecture, you'll mentor and train other engineers and be thinking about how to make the team more effective every day.
What you've done before:
- Built and deployed AI components in large-scale systems
- Built software solutions to support integration of AI models using tools like Kafka, Docker, and Kubernetes.
- Built batch and real-time data pipelines that feed advanced analytics and machine learning models in production environments
- Worked closely with Scientists to integrate AI models in production.
- Worked with AI libraries (PyTorch, TensorFlow) and tools (Scikit-Learn).
- Built back end systems to analyze massive amounts of data.
- Demonstrated excellent problem solving skills and solid understanding of computer science fundamentals, including commonly used algorithms and data structures.
- Worked with distributed systems using microservices architecture.
- Built applications in Python, and with OO languages (preferably in Java or Scala, C++ a plus), using SQL and NoSQL data stores, Graph databases, and run them in containers in a cloud environment.
- Led important initiatives and mentored junior engineers.
What success looks like in your first 6 months:
In this role, you will build the services and underlying infrastructure that allows us to deal with terabytes of unstructured data and:
- Contribute code to production systems from the get-go, with a particular emphasis on integrating and deploying AI/ML/Deep Learning models and algorithms.
- Spend time with different parts of the company to understand how Dataminr works.
- Get up to speed on our tech stack and infrastructure with overview sessions and deep dives with your team.
- Mentor more junior members of our growing team.
- Design significant AI-driven features that impact multiple platforms and apps.
- Own portions of our product suite that specifically support the AI group’s efforts, and be responsible for reliability and scalability.
- Bring new ideas to our engineering-wide processes to help us improve constantly.
- Be influential in planning the next iterations of the AI components of our architecture as we strive to get more alerts to our clients faster and with near-perfect reliability.