Working at Adaptavist
The Adaptavist Group is a global family of companies with a common goal. We combine the best of teamwork, technology, and processes, helping all kinds of businesses be better today and tomorrow.
We are experts at delivering enterprise software, tailored solutions, and quality services across some of the world’s most trusted technology ecosystems, including Atlassian, AWS, Slack, GitLab, Monday.com and Aha!
We make change happen. From anywhere.
Our flexible, remote-first way of working means that work can fit around your life, rather than your life fitting around work.
Adaptavist’s mission is to help organizations embrace the right tools, processes, and culture to make transformation their competitive advantage. And it all starts with you.
Working at Adaptavist is unlike any other job you’ve ever had. We trust you from day one. We encourage curiosity. We champion diversity. We’re never afraid to try something new.
Our flexible, remote-first way of working means that you can now fit work around your life, instead of trying to fit your life around work. You can even take as much vacation as you want. Yes, really!
As part of The Adaptavist Group, we make up a family of brands that combine people, processes, and technology to make businesses better. Offering trusted consultancy, app development, training, hosting, and licensing, we believe our unique and open culture underpins our status as the go-to partner of choice within the Atlassian Ecosystem.
Some of our UK benefits include:
– Unlimited Holiday
– Pension matching up to 5%
– Employee assistance programme
– Udemy Online Learning
– Volunteer Days
– Flexible working hours
– Enhanced Maternity and Paternity Leave
– Season ticket loan
– Eye Care Vouchers
– Life Assurance
– Income Protection Scheme
– Private Medical with Bupa
– Bring your dog to work
– Adaptavist Rewards
About the role
As the Software Engineer, you’ll be involved building new features, plugins and maintaining developer portals built in Backstage; delivering changes using continuous integration and deployment; using creative thinking to investigate and problem solve customer requirements. You will participate in Agile ceremonies like standups, ticket estimation and retrospectives, as well as peer code reviews and pairing programming sessions. As the Software Engineer, your input will help shape the engineering decisions and practices of the team, along with improving the developer experience of other Adaptavist teams, and their customers.
What you’ll be doing
- Researching and documenting how a feature or customer requirement can be built within the constraints of Backstages plugin ecosystem
- Designing plugins and features to meet customer needs
- Designing the systems/services that need to be built in order to implement the solutions to customer requirements
- Define infrastructure requirement to run Backstage (and plugins) as both a monolith and collection of microservices
- Implementing business logic and corresponding unit/integration/performance tests
- Creating automated build and deployment plans
- Contribute to running our own Backstage and plugins along side our Platform engineers
- Define and document observability metrics that help SysOps teams run Backstage and our plugins
- Analysing logs and metrics for performance, behaviour and to investigate support queries
- Contributing back into the Backstage codebase
- Contributing back into the Venue.sh code base
- Help our professional services teams with customer Backstage needs
- Building plugins for 3rd party SaaS offering integrating Backstage with them
What we’re looking for
- Fluency in Typescript, React and Node ecosystem
- Fluency working with unit and integration testing
- Experience working with CICD
- Excellent organisational, prioritisation and communication skills
- An ability to think innovatively and creatively
- Interest in helping and encouraging colleagues
- Understanding of serverless and micro-services oriented architecture with extensible REST
- Good understand of containerisation
A few nice to haves
- Understanding of high-availability, fault-tolerant, scalable, distributed systems
- Experience with Backstage or similar internal developer platform
- Experience with Infrastructure-as-code
- Experience of Kubernetes (Helm)
- Experience building systems using AWS services