The Athletic is a digital sports media company that brings true sports fans closer to the athletes, teams and leagues that captivate their attention. We serve a multi-faceted audience that craves a richer connection and understanding with immersive storytelling and a like-minded community of fans. Founded in 2016 and with major operational hubs in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London and Melbourne, we empower a truly global team of more than 600 creators and cover more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams across the United States, Canada and the UK. Our newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth reports along with more than 120 podcasts and other forms of premium content. Put simply, The Athletic is at the center of a sports fan’s universe.
About the Role
As a Social Media Associate, you will be the bridge between our world-class newsroom and the readers, listeners and viewers who love what The Athletic has to offer.
In this role, you will be responsible for creating social-specific content designed to engage sports fans across the globe to drive growth, engagement and awareness. The Social Media Associate will have a strong familiarity with our content, a passion for media and sports, and a deep understanding of social media platforms, trends and tactics
A successful Social Media Associate will be able to jump seamlessly between conversations with editorial, programming, design, audio and video and connect the dots between each to help us craft a valuable content experience on social media for Athletic subscribers and non-subscribers.
The ability to understand cross-department goals and achieve buy-in through influence is critical in setting the roadmap for coverage plans on daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly timelines.
This role will be remote for candidates currently residing in the United States or Canada.
This role will require working nights and weekends.
- Executes basic functions of social strategy, which include: Curation of social, distribution of articles, podcasts, live blogs, and video to relevant platforms on an ongoing basis.
- Execute day-to-day social strategy which includes covering breaking news, major moments and live games on a variety of platforms.
- Work with editors to develop optimal copy and visual assets to amplify top content (stories, videos, podcasts).
- Identify and surface trending storylines to our newsroom.
- Use templates to produce creative assets (design, video) for social platforms that fit within our brand guidelines.
- Assist in gathering insights and learnings through ongoing social testing and tracking, analyzing what’s working and what’s not to enable us to continually develop and improve our output.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced news environment, processing relevant information from multiple departments and once synthesizing it to weave together a plan for the immediate, mid-term, and long-term future.
- 1 to 3 years experience in social media, digital marketing, or similar.
- Creativity to engage a passionate audience of sports fans.
- Analytical mindset with understanding of key social growth & engagement metrics.
- Demonstrated platform fluency on X (formerly Twitter), Instagram, TikTok & Facebook in business/professional applications.
- Experience managing multiple social channels.
- Strong writing skills with a keen eye for detail, grammar & punctuation.
- Basic photo and video editing skills preferred.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Working knowledge of all major sports.
- Baseline knowledge of data analytics in order to understand and track KPIs.
- Flexibility in terms of schedule (weekends, evenings, holidays, etc.).