At Zuora, we do Modern Business. We’re helping people subscribe to new ways of doing business that are better for people, companies and ultimately the planet. It’s an approach resulting from the shift to the Subscription Economy that puts customers first by building recurring relationships instead of one-time product sales and focuses on sustainable growth. Through our leading expertise and multi-product suite, we are transforming all industries and working with the world’s most innovative companies to monetize new business models, nurture subscriber relationships and optimize their digital experiences.
The Site Reliability Operations Engineer at Zuora plays a critical and visible role in delivering and supporting our platform. We are responsible for scaling and optimizing the reliability, availability, and performance of our infrastructure and platform services, and partnering with Engineering teams to build highly available and performant services. We work with amazing developer teams in the design, provisioning, integration, configuration, monitoring, and incident response of large scale distributed applications and platform services. We deliver awesome SaaS.
- Service Operations & Impacting issue Restoration
- Driving Command Center Incident Bridges for customer issues to resolution
- Responding to Observability Alerts/Alarms
- Responding to escalated issues from Customer support
- Write & Automate runbooks and drive alerts/incidents and service requests reduction by automation
- Being a liaison for a service and partner with service owner to make the service rock solid and efficient
WHAT YOU’LL ACHIEVE
As a SRO, you will be a member of a team that understands the configuration, technical dependencies, and overall behavioral characteristics of production services. In partnership with developers, you have the responsibility to ensure services are designed and delivered with focus on security, resiliency, scale, and performance. SROs are the ultimate authority and are accountable for end-to-end performance and operability of the services they own.
Champion service reliability operations and incidents prevention
- You will be part of the team whose mission is the shared ownership of a collection of services and technology areas, in partnership with developer teams.
- You are a key escalation point for issues that have been documented as Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) or issues that needed in-depth troubleshooting and analysis. You will help maintain up-to-date documentation on deployments, processes and SOP runbooks.
- You are a key escalation point in leading incidents and working with Subject Matter Expert (SME) for performing real-time incident handling tasks to support operations. You will help develop and implement the incident management process.
- You will have the deep understanding of service topology and their dependencies required to troubleshoot issues and define mitigations. Once you have expertly mitigated an incident, you will immediately work with SME on how to more quickly resolve the issue next time, with the goal to prevent the problem from recurring. You will help develop and implement the problem management process.
- You will manage the full lifecycle of infrastructure and change management, including planned maintenance, standart, normal, and emergency changes. You will help develop and implement change management processes to ensure developers and SRO can easily manage system configurations, deploy new code quickly and fix incidents faster.
Service design and implementation
- You will partner with development SCRUM teams in defining and implementing improvements to service architecture, both current and future. You will be an expert at articulating technical characteristics of services and their dependencies, and guide development teams to engineer highly reliable and performant services.
- You will frequently partner with developer SCRUM teams and actively participate in the execution of tasks required to meet milestones and deliverables set by the team throughout a release cycle.
- You will work with a large scale centralized monitoring and logging system to help maintain uptime and troubleshoot problems. You will understand and be able to communicate the capacity, scale, security, performance attributes and requirements of services you own. You will lead design and implementation of monitoring, alerts, and responses for all infrastructure and applications.
- You will implement SRO automation, develop automation across the service reliability operation, and optimize operations hours by reducing manual operations. You will apply engineering mindset and development skills to site reliability operations.
- You will take part in a shared on-call rotation that won’t cripple your life or kill your soul.
- Resolution of complex and critical issues, participation in Major incidents as a SME
- Service expert ensuring expertise is reflected in SOP's documentation are shared
- Instrumentation and metrics that clearly describe the service behaviors
- Scaling requirements and patterns
- Resiliency and recoverability, ensuring that backup / restore and disaster recovery capabilities are implemented, tested and maintained
- Driving and escalating gaps in automation, solutions and documentation
WHAT YOU’LL NEED TO BE SUCCESSFUL
SROs are a rare mix of sysadmins and development engineers, and as such you have the ability to understand and explain the effect of product architecture decisions on the ability to run as distributed systems. You are driven by professional curiosity and a desire to develop a deep understanding of the services and the technologies they depend upon.
You demonstrate competence in shell scripting and high-level programming languages such as Bash, Ansible, Python, Terraform and low-level / no-code programming languages and solutions such as Google Apps Scripts, Jenkins Pipelines Groovy scripts, Jira Automation, Rundeck.
You are proactive, self-motivated, customer-focused, organized, and a good communicator.
You have over 4 years experience running large scale customer facing web services with a solid understanding of:
- REST APIs
- Linux/Unix system internals.
- Load balancing technologies, including L7 routing, DNS, and CDN
- Networking and TCP/IP
- Off the shelf observability (monitoring, metrics, alerting, tracing) solutions (Grafana, LogicMonitor, Pingdom) or open source ones (Prometheus)
- Log analysis and troubleshooting using Kibana
- Standard Internet services, such as DNS, HTTP, etc.
- Cloud computing patterns
- Configuration management using Puppet, Chef, Ansible, or similar
- IT Security and compliance
- Container based orchestration platforms such as Kubernetes/EKS/AKS and ECS at scale
- CI/CD pipelines using tools such as GIT, Jenkins, Spinnaker, Terraform and Ansible
- RDBMS and Messaging Fundamentals – MySQL, Oracle and Kafka is preferred
- Programming with Python
You demonstrate practical knowledge of various aspects of distributed service design, including messaging protocols, caching strategies, persistence technologies, and queuing.
You have experience with AWS Services like EC2, ELB, ElastiCache, DynamoDB, SQS, SNS, RDS, S3.
You are passionate about automation.
Your head is full of customer-delighting ideas for the next hackathon.
An ideal candidate will also have experience with:
- Container and Container Management technologies, such as Docker and Kubernetes
- Databases and big data stores.
- Defining and documenting technical architecture of complex and highly scalable products.
- Familiarity with ITIL-based incident, problem, and change management.
- Experience working with large global teams and ability to coordinate well within and across various development teams.
#ZEOLife at Zuora
As an industry pioneer, our work is constantly evolving and challenging us in new ways that require us to think differently, iterate often and learn constantly—it’s exciting. Our people, whom we refer to as “ZEOs” are empowered to take on a mindset of ownership and make a bigger impact here. Our teams collaborate deeply, exchange different ideas openly and together we’re making what’s next possible for our customers, community and the world.
As part of our commitment to building an inclusive, high-performance culture where ZEOs feel inspired, connected and valued, we support ZEOs with:
- Competitive compensation, corporate bonus program and performance rewards, company equity and retirement programs
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Generous, flexible time off
- Paid holidays, “wellness” days and company wide end of year break
- 6 months fully paid parental leave
- Learning & Development stipend
- Opportunities to volunteer and give back, including charitable donation match
- Free resources and support for your mental wellbeing
Specific benefits offerings may vary by country and can be viewed in more detail during your interview process.
Location & Work Arrangements
Organizations and teams at Zuora are empowered to design efficient and flexible ways of working, being intentional about scheduling, communication, and collaboration strategies that help us achieve our best results. In our dynamic, globally distributed company, this means balancing flexibility and responsibility — flexibility to live our lives to the fullest, and responsibility to each other, to our customers, and to our shareholders. For most roles, we offer the flexibility to work both remotely and at Zuora offices.
Our Commitment to an Inclusive Workplace
Think, be and do you! At Zuora, different perspectives, experiences and contributions matter. Everyone counts. Zuora is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating an inclusive environment for all.
Zuora does not discriminate on the basis of, and considers individuals seeking employment with Zuora without regards to, race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, reproductive health decisions, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to email@example.com.