The Athletic is a digital sports media company that brings true sports fans closer to the athletes, teams and leagues that captivate their attention. We serve a multi-faceted audience that craves a richer connection and understanding with immersive storytelling and a like-minded community of fans. Founded in 2016 and with major operational hubs in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London and Melbourne, we empower a truly global team of more than 600 creators and cover more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams across the United States, Canada and the UK. Our newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth reports along with more than 120 podcasts and other forms of premium content. Put simply, The Athletic is at the center of a sports fan’s universe.
About the Role
The Athletic is looking for an energetic, motivated and resourceful reporter with NFL experience who is interested in maintaining existing relationships and developing new ones to break and analyze news and is able to tell unique and differentiating stories to an audience that demands quality above all else. This is a national role covering the NFL as a whole.
- Cultivate and maintain strong sources to break, confirm, advance and analyze news.
- Contribute on multiple platforms, including podcasts, social media, headlines and short form.
- Be meticulous and thorough when sourcing stories.
- Meet deadlines.
- Clean, skilled writing in long, medium and short-form formats.
- Tell rich, ambitious features through deep reporting and access to get beyond superficial storylines.
- Balance mid- and long-term projects while delivering stories and news analysis.
- Utilize a creative approach to story ideation and formats.
- Generate executable story and project ideas.
- Understand the sport’s advanced metrics and how to apply them to written work.
- Maintain a strong voice that can stand out from competitors.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues and share information.
- Connect with the audience constructively by interacting with our comments sections.
- Use internal metrics to provide what subscribers desire.
- Six-plus years of writing about the NFL for a newspaper, magazine or digital news organization.
- Five to 10 work samples that demonstrate the writer’s ability to identify, break and confirm news and report on league trend stories using sources from around the NFL.
- Established relationships with team and league staff and players across the NFL.
- Deep and comprehensive knowledge of the league’s players and playing styles.
- Demonstrated ability to react quickly and authoritatively to league news and developments.
- This is a remote position based in the continental United States.