Connecting people to their family stories is special. We’re proud to deliver these magic moments. Through technology, data and insights, we bring people closer to their past, to benefit their future.
We’re a fast-growing team of smart people, on a mission to help millions. Solve meaningful, complex problems and be a part of something magical. Enjoy the agility of a scale-up with the security of real financial backing, in a place where every story matters.
Why join our team?
- We’re driven by the desire to create a fantastic customer experience
- We love nothing more than solving usability challenges like taking the big data we have and making it quick and easy for our consumers to use
- We’re naturally collaborative and our cross functional teams work closely with our colleagues to build / enhance our product in a lean/agile environment
- We’re neatly set up for flexible working and giving people the freedom to thrive.
- We have small teams that give you the chance to try out different problems whilst making a real difference to the business
- We’re a supportive bunch and actively encourage mentorship, peer learning and discussion through our active engineering communities.
You won’t find any bureaucracy here, but you will find:
- Generous holiday allowance with the chance to buy more
- A pension contribution that stands out in the market (9.5% matched company contribution with a 6% contribution from the employee’s side).
- All the health and wellbeing benefits you’d expect and some you wouldn’t (Careers Page)
- The chance to work with smart and fun people on products that will bring joy to millions.
We value seeing each other in person from time to time as it helps us do great work – we’ve worked remote for over a year and like to see each other several times a year
About the Role:
The role involves a mixture of team and solo work: working closely with Designers and contributing to our living Design system, interpreting and synchronising design pattern changes from our Design System to our production ReactJS component library for delivery teams to use, and supporting our feature delivery teams use the ReactJS components.
Here’s what the role involves:
- Components reflect the brand: You’ll ensure our design system reflects the current iteration of the brand and that new designs adhere to established patterns – providing feature delivery teams with the components they need for building solutions.
- Build ReactJS prototypes: You’ll build interactive prototypes (ReactJS components) of our design system patterns, these prototypes will be used for discussion and user testing.
- Spread Design system knowledge: You’ll work with feature delivery engineering teams to teach and evangelize the design system, collect feedback, and feed this into improving the output of the Design team to enhance efficiency of delivery teams.
- Evolve our system: You’ll suggest and implement changes that improve the semantics, usability and accessibility or visual polish and consistency of the existing product for engineers and users alike.
- Mentoring and supporting others: to deliver efficient, high-quality implementation at a project level and on your own tasks.
About the Role:
- Collaborate with designers to create features with the best flow for the user
- Apply knowledge of automated testing patterns for React applications.
- Bring experience of navigating large codebases to make small changes safely with tests
- Apply a solid understanding of UX and a practical knowledge of the principles required to design highly-reusable, flexible and data rich components: coupling, cohesion, inversion of control
- Apply your proficient knowledge of web platforms in these areas: HTML, web page semantics, accessibility, cross-browser compatibility, web performance and animation.
- Apply your proficiency in our chosen front end library, ReactJS (alternatively have experience of Angular or Vue and be ready to learn) and CSS-in-JS solutions.
- Vary your communication to audiences with different levels of technical knowledge
What to expect next:
Our interview process is fast and goes like this:
- An initial call with a member of our People Team (30 mins)
- Depth Of Expertise session, 60 mins.
- Take home test
- Final round (90mins):
- Review & extend take home test
- Values / Culture session
We don’t want our approach to hold anyone back, so if we need to tweak this for you, please just ask. Plus we’d love to know your pronouns so please let us know when you apply.
We want Findmypast to be the best company for all our diverse employees and customers. If you’d like a deeper understanding of our commitment to diversity, check out our careers page to hear from our CEO, Tamsin.
We’re passionate about making FMP a great place to work and setting people up to succeed. Benefits include:
- 26 days holidays + UK bank holidays. We also offer the option to purchase up to 4 additional days.
- Excellent pension contribution from day one of up to 15.5% of your basic salary (9.5% matched company contribution with a 6% contribution from the employee’s side).
- Flexible working, as we want all our employees to have a brilliant work-life balance.
- Enhanced and shared maternity/paternity/adoption leave.
- Learning & Development budget, access to LinkedIn Learning and training opportunities.
- Various social remote activities to keep connected as a company.
- Employee Assistance Programme, wellbeing app access and Mental Health First Aiders.
- Life assurance.
- Private medical insurance, health and dental cash plan options.
- Gym membership and staff discounts.
- Cycle to work scheme.
- Season travel tickets.
- Subscriptions to Findmypast and British Newspaper Archive.
If you are a recruitment agency, please be aware that we’re not looking for additional assistance with recruitment. Please do not send us CVs. We will not be responsible for fees related to unsolicited CVs.