About the Role
As a software engineer, you’ll build the foundational services that power our product and scale to meet our customer’s needs. You’ll work with a variety of technologies as you design, build, and ship our rapidly expanding product. As an early member of our team, you’ll get to lay the groundwork for future product innovation and scaling capabilities.
We’re looking for people with a strong background or interest in building developer-focused products, care deeply about security and customer trust, and are comfortable learning new skills that will deliver value to our customers.
The work you'll do
- Scalable, resilient systems that support product and feature development
- Integration with third-party tools like chat, alerting, project management, source control, and CI/CD
- Building a high-volume event intake platform where missing a beat means missing critical customer data
- Responding to production issues through an on-call rotation, our systems need to be working when our customers’ systems aren’t
What we're looking for
- Experience or interest in building distributed, resilient systems that scale
- Can pick the right technologies for the job, and is excited to learn the right technologies when they need to
- Takes ownership of a project from concept to production
- Enjoys working with, teaching, and learning from a diverse group of people
- Knows why good is better than good enough, but also knows why perfect is the enemy of good
- Build a reliable and flexible pipeline to ingest alerts from a variety of providers, transform them into our data structures and present the most actionable data to customers
- Develop integrations with project management tools like Asana, Clubhouse and Trello to create follow-up items from incidents and keep their status in sync for use in reporting systems
- Create valuable reporting systems used by customer leadership teams in staying informed on the reliability of their teams' services
What you will accomplish in…
In one month, you'll
- Become familiar with our product, our customers, and how our teams work to improve them
- Meet with the founders, leaders across FireHydrant and peers across engineering to understand how we work
- Get up to speed by taking on impactful pieces of work alongside more tenured engineers beginning the first week
In three months, you'll
- Work with our customers to resolve issues they've encountered within our application by being on our Escalation Engineer rotation.
- Improve our Ruby on Rails strategies and maintainability.
- Assist in breaking down stories from open-ended product and design feature requests.
- Mentor more early-career engineers across disciplines.
In 6 months, you'll
- Be on call to address an outage with our systems.
- Become more active within the engineering team to help improve and shape hiring and onboarding new Backend engineers.
- Be given an opportunity to move between the problem-sets to solve within Engineering by self-selecting which team to work on.
- Have established career-progressing goals with your manager and have started working toward them.
In one year, you'll
- Have completed several features.
- Have a deep understanding of your team's domain within our codebase and a rough understanding of the machinations of other areas outside of your team scope.
Technology we use
- Golang, Ruby, Rails, Grape (API)
- RSpec, Jest
- React, Redux, and Redux-Saga
- Docker and Docker Compose for local development
- Google Kubernetes Engine, GitOps, CircleCI
- Google PubSub, Protocol Buffers
FireHydrant is building the only platform focused on site reliability. The FireHydrant platform includes Incident Response, Status Pages, and more, so companies can take control of their complex system, reduce downtime for their customers, and work better together. We’re a Series B company with around 80 employees (and growing!) who sit across the United States. Check out our blog to learn more about us.
Life at FireHydrant
- We’re remote-first with employees around the US, our headquarters is in NYC (Union Square)
- 1-2x per year we will gather as a company, depending on the safety of such gathering, and have virtual events throughout the year
- We collaborate through Slack, Zoom, Figma, Notion, and Clubhouse
- Kind candor – we expect honesty delivered through kindness, first and foremost
- Transparency & equity – information is shared openly in Slack channels; we welcome ideas and contribution regardless of role or experience level
- Mutual mentorship – we believe in the power of mentorship and that everyone (of all skill levels) has something to learn, and something to teach
- 100% employer-paid health, vision and dental premiums for the employee and 75% of dependents
- Unlimited vacation policy with a minimum requirement of three weeks off per-year, with sustainable working hours and healthy work/life balance
- Home office stipend: get your workspace set up in a way that works best for you
- 401k match
FireHydrant believes that everyone should be compensated fairly and we strive for transparency within our organization and the industry. We set our salaries at the 75th percentile based on compensation data from hundreds of companies at our stage and everyone in a given role is paid the same without adjusting for locality. The comp for this role is $165,000 (SWE III), $190,000 (Senior), or $215,000 (Staff) depending on leveling/title.
- FireHydrant requires that all newly hired employees are fully vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to reasonable accommodations provided based on medical need or religious belief.
- All employees must be able to show authorization to work in the US.