Wowza Media Systems is seeking a highly skilled Senior Software Engineer. We are growing and expanding our cloud development teams and are looking for a technical savvy & experienced Senior Engineer to help us drive the streaming revolution, helping us enable streaming video and audio to any device, anywhere!
As a Senior Software Engineer for Wowza Video, you will join one of Wowza Agile Engineering teams building software that empowers the community of builders creating professional-grade streaming solutions.
With your Senior Software engineer experience, you will help the team design, implement, deploy & support evolving capabilities in our Wowza Video SaaS architecture & product, to meet the ever growing and demanding needs of streaming customers worldwide. You will primarily be utilizing, Ruby (+ RubyOnRails) on the application side, a mix of relational and NoSQL solutions on the back end, including MySQL, ElasticSearch, and handling substantial amounts of data and requests using stream processing technologies such as Kafka.
You will have the unique opportunity to be on a team that will transform how our Platform & APIs meet the scalability, high performance, high availability, and reliability expectations that our customers require.
The ideal candidate is an experienced software developer with excellent communication skills and lives in the U.S. time zones and/or is eligible to work in the U.S.
What You’ll do:
- Lead – Provide technical leadership within the team and engineering department. Mentor Jr developers and help develop internal coding standards.
- Create – Work with Product leaders to deliver new features and capabilities while managing expectations and meeting commitments.
- Support – Work with our Support organization in helping our customers through their toughest challenges and capturing ways to make our products better. At times you will be required to be on call as a development resource.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or at least 5-7 years of experience in software development
- Strong software development foundation in application design and data structures
- Strong problem-solving & communication skills
- Extensive practical knowledge with:
- Programming languages: Rust, Ruby (+RubyOnRails), Kotlin or similar
- Creating public RESTful APIs
- Creating internal services (Micro Services)
- Databases Technology
- Cloud providers such as AWS, Google Cloud, Azure Cloud, Oracle Cloud & their APIs
- Message/Event Busses like Kafka, Nats.io
- Unit test development and writing testable code
- Continuous integration, Build automation, Git
- Scrum/Agile development methodology
Nice to Have
- Worked on a large SaaS product with high availability and quality
- Understanding of the streaming media industry including CDN’s and protocols such as HLS, DASH, WebRTC
- Unix/Linux and Bash
- Experience with distributed stream-processing systems like Apache Kafka or similar
- Experience with message/event buses like Kafka or Nats.io
- Familiar with system networking concepts and tools
- Understanding of streaming media protocols and technologies (e.g., HLS, MPEG-DASH, WebRTC, RTSP)
- Knowledge of audio and video coding formats (e.g., AAC, MP3, H264, HEVC, VP9)
- Salary: $150,000-$185,000
- Bonus Eligible
The base salary range represents the anticipated low and high end of our salary range for this position. Actual salaries will vary and will be based on a range of factors, such as a candidate’s qualifications, skills, and competencies. The salary is one component of our total compensation package for employees.
Wowza offers a comprehensive benefits package which includes the following:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance available 1st day of employment
- Generous Paid Time Off
- 401(k) with strong company match
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account
- Employer Paid Basic Life Insurance and AD&D
- Voluntary Life Insurance (Employee/Spouse/Child)
- Parental Leave
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- Training & Development
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Who We Are:
Wowza Media Systems is a Colorado-based, globally-known leader in video streaming software solutions. Wowza’s software enables its customers to deliver high-fidelity video streams from any source to any destination, reliably at large scale and with low latency. Wowza’s solutions are implemented by tens of thousands of customers in more than 100 countries, across education, healthcare, enterprise, gaming, fitness, auction, e-commerce, and government applications. Founded nearly fifteen years ago, Wowza is backed by private equity firm Clearhaven Partners.
Why Work for Wowza:
Join a fast-paced, private equity-backed Colorado software company sitting at the intersection of mission critical video streaming applications. Wowza has long standing reputations for technical prowess and consistent innovation and has been a consistently growing company. In addition, Wowza’s team works to connect the larger community with our passion for tech. From live-streaming graduation ceremonies for local schools to helping parents monitor their children in the NICU, employees can cultivate the same creative energy that first brought the company to life. Our employees are encouraged to take ownership of their role and coworkers are happy to help one another along their video journey. We have a brand-new company headquarters office as well as remote employees across the US and around the globe. Our Denver-area employees work in a flexible-hybrid environment allowing for flexibility and work-life balance tailored to each individual Wowzan.