Future’s Technology department has been instrumental in the company’s success over recent years and is vital to Future’s continued growth and disruption of the digital publishing industry.
Already numbering well over 100 staff (and growing), the various specialist teams operate in an open collaborative environment, working to provide innovative technical solutions in digital publishing.
Core to Technology’s responsibilities is Future’s Vanilla platform. Vanilla host’s over 40 of Future’s major brands including TechRadar, PC Gamer, FourFourTwo, What Hi-Fi? and Homes & Gardens. Vanilla is constantly evolving to meet the needs of consumers and provide a performant stable platform for high traffic websites and services.
What you’ll be doing…
As Senior Frontend Developer, your primary focus will be on Vanilla FTE and all the subServices.
In this role you will be responsible for the direction of the frontend architecture and be influential in the technical decision making for the rewrite of the application. You will implement new features and components, as well as maintain and improve the existing codebase. You will ensure releases are intuitive, scalable, tested, and well structured.
Working closely with backend/fullstack developers, you will ensure that all applications integrate reliably. You will also be expected to mentor junior developers, contributing to their growth, knowledge, and reviewing their code.
Key role responsibilities
- In collaboration with Tech Leads and Engineers you will ensure your code is well scoped, monitored, documented and testable.
- You will be responsible for code quality of the frontend, ensuring that the code is maintainable and extensible.
- You will be responsible for tracing bugs across the stack and ensuring that suitable tests are set up to avoid future regressions.
- You will work with the rest of the team to review both your code and other developers’ before it goes through a final QA process and into production.
- You will communicate effectively with the wider business and be able to critically assess product requirements and solutions.
- You will keep up to date with the latest approaches to development and be able to argue for appropriate technology to be added to the stack.
- You will participate in regular hack days, using cutting edge tech to prototype innovative approaches to business/technical goals.
- As an experienced member of the team you are required to support and help develop more junior members of staff both via code review/direction and mentoring.
Experience that will put you ahead of the curve…
- React and latest APIs (hooks / context)
- Experience with state management solutions (e.g. Redux / Mobx / Recoil)
- Experience with unit testing (e.g. Jest / Jasmine / Mocha)
- Experience with build tools (e.g. Webpack / Parcel / Roll Up)
- Experience building SPAs at scale
- Knowledge of CSS solutions (e.g. Tailwind / SCSS / Styled Components)
- Ability to communicate technical information to non-technical people as needed
- Hunger to learn and passionate about software delivery
What’s in it for you…
We have a number of awesome perks available to our staff. We offer huge opportunities to learn and develop, whether through professional qualifications, exposure to incredible business projects or informal lunch & learns, hosted by your colleagues. We have a fantastic culture where we really do care about our people and want everyone to succeed. Varied roles mean you’re not pigeonholed in to one finite area but get the opportunity to develop a wide range of skills and experience
And to top it all off, not only do we offer unlimited holiday because we trust you to manage your workload and time but we also offer a share in our success whereby every colleague is eligible to join our profit pool bonus scheme – if Future hits their performance targets all colleagues may receive a bonus.
Internal job family level T5
The expected range for this role is EUR 40,000 – EUR 55,000
Who are we…
We’re Future. We’re 3000+ colleagues over 250+ brands speaking to 400 million people every month across the globe through websites, events and magazines. We’ve got ambitious plans that build on our growth momentum and unlock new opportunities and we’re looking for talented people who want to be a part of it.
Want to know more… https://youtu.be/xxfSvjPuZd
Our Future, Our Responsibility – Inclusion and Diversity at Future
We have a voice and we’re going to use it. We promote diversity and inclusion not just in our recruitment processes, but everything we do. We’re an equal opportunity employer and we will continue to ensure our recruitment process is free of bias and our workplaces are inclusive, positive, free of discrimination and respecting of all backgrounds and beliefs. Our culture is underpinned by our values and employees – current and future – are treated with respect and fairness. Find out more about Our Future, Our Responsibility on our website.