Fastly helps people stay better connected with the things they love. Fastly’s edge cloud platform enables customers to create great digital experiences quickly, securely, and reliably by processing, serving, and securing our customers’ applications as close to their end-users as possible — at the edge of the Internet. The platform is designed to take advantage of the modern internet, to be programmable, and to support agile software development. Fastly’s customers include many of the world’s most prominent companies, including Vimeo, Pinterest, The New York Times, and GitHub.
We're building a more trustworthy Internet. Come join us.
Senior Engineer – Foundation Observability
Fastly’s Foundation Engineering Observability team is looking for a Senior Engineer who is passionate about crafting, scaling, and automating our internal platforms. You will be working alongside other engineering and support teams, to provide insights and recommendations on how we make our stacks observable. Your focus in logging, metrics, tracing and monitoring will be vital in this role to help Fastly scale our observability platforms.
What You'll Do
- Focus on improving and scaling our logging pipelines, telemetry collection, and monitoring systems
- Diagnose and resolve performance and reliability issues affecting the observability platform infrastructure
- Create and instrument critical business metrics for insights and transparency
- Scaling out and improving on service automation and deployments
- Collaborate with Fastly Engineering to implement solutions that deliver value for our internal customer teams
- You’ll participate in incident reviews to build improved alerts for detection and potential proactive mitigations
What We're Looking For
- Experience developing and operating log collection services and platforms (eg: Splunk, Elastic Stack, Rsyslog, Fluentd, Logstash, Vector)
- Experience developing automations, orchestrations, and writing infrastructure as code for platform management (eg: Chef, Ansible, Terraform)
- You should have a functional knowledge of how to provide secure systems (eg: AuthN/Z, RBAC, OAuth, SAML, mTLS, ACLs)
- Building meaningful reports and dashboards based on platform event and metric data (eg: Prometheus, Grafana, Graphite, Splunk)
- You should be comfortable working with scripting languages (such as Bash, Ruby, Python)
- You enjoy exploring system logs and metrics to identify performance bottlenecks, and creating actionable alerts and visualizations
- You are passionate about building relevant products that address real problems
- Excellent communication and listening skills, as well as a high degree of emotional intelligence
In accordance with applicable law, Fastly’s minimum base pay for this role if hired in Colorado is $150,000 per year. Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Fastly's equity plan. Final offer amount will be at the company’s sole discretion and determined by multiple factors, including years and depth of experience and expertise, location and other business considerations. Note that this role is available to candidates outside of Colorado and different minimum compensation may apply.
Fastly is proud to deliver a strong total rewards program to our employees. This role is eligible to participate in the following benefits:
- Health benefits (medical, dental, and vision)
- Medical: Cigna or Kaiser available
- Retirement benefits and employer match
- Life Insurance (Basic and Voluntary Life)
- Short & Long Term Disability with a buy-up LTD option
- Voluntary Accident & Critical Illness benefits
- Flex Spending Accounts & Mass Transit benefits
- Open Vacation Policy
- Sick Time
- Generous leave benefits (medical, maternity, paternity, and personal)
- Paid wellness days
- Employee Assistance Program
- Learning & reimbursement program stipend
- Mobile and internet allowance
- Wellness stipend
- Pet insurance
Fastly reserves the right to amend or modify for any reasons in accordance with applicable law.
We have a huge impact. Fastly is a small company with a big reach. Not only do our customers have a tremendous user base, but we also support a growing number of open source projects and initiatives. Outside of code, employees are encouraged to share causes close to their heart with others so we can help lend a supportive hand.
We love distributed teams. Fastly’s home-base is in San Francisco, but we have multiple offices and employees sprinkled around the globe. In fact, 50% of our employees work outside of SF! An international remote culture is in our DNA.
We care about you. Fastly works hard to create a positive environment for our employees, and we think your life outside of work is important too. We support our teams with great benefits like up to 20 weeks of paid parental leave, options for free medical/dental/vision plans, and an open vacation program that enables our folks to take the time they need to recharge (some benefits may vary by location).
We value diversity. Growing and maintaining our inclusive and diverse team matters to us. We are committed to being a company where our employees feel comfortable bringing their authentic selves to work and have the ability to be successful — every day.
We are passionate. Fastly is chock full of passionate people and we’re not ‘one size fits all’. Fastly employs authors, pilots, skiers, parents (of humans and animals), makeup geeks, coffee connoisseurs, and more. We love employees for who they are and what they are passionate about.
We’re always looking for humble, sharp, and creative folks to join the Fastly team. If you think you might be a fit, please apply!
Fastly is committed to ensuring equal employment opportunity and to providing employees with a safe and welcoming work environment free of discrimination and harassment.
Employment decisions at Fastly are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, family or parental status, disability*, age, veteran status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Fastly encourages applicants from all backgrounds.
*Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to reasonable accommodation under the terms of the Americans with Disabilities Act and certain state or local laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the way things are normally done which will ensure an equal employment opportunity without imposing undue hardship on Fastly. Please inform us if you need assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.