Fastly helps people stay better connected with the things they love. Fastly’s edge cloud platform enables customers to create great digital experiences quickly, securely, and reliably by processing, serving, and securing our customers’ applications as close to their end-users as possible — at the edge of the Internet. The platform is designed to take advantage of the modern internet, to be programmable, and to support agile software development. Fastly’s customers include many of the world’s most prominent companies, including Vimeo, Pinterest, The New York Times, and GitHub.
We're building a more trustworthy Internet. Come join us.
Senior Engineer – Developer Services
The Development Services team helps Fastly engineers develop our world-leading services. We aim to help our colleagues from the moment they join our onboarding tools. Once they start to develop code, our tooling for creating local containerised stacks allows instant feedback on their personal laptops. As code is shipped, our tooling helps teams track the operational readiness of their work, tracking documentation, support channels and mapping where they fit within our stack.
What You'll Do
- Add your signature to a young developing team with ambitious plans to make an impact throughout our engineering organisation
- Support our tooling & help our internal teams get the most out of their time
- Help develop our onboarding suite to automate access for new colleagues in our engineering teams
- Engage with colleagues in the business to understand their requirements and how we can help them deliver
- Planning, implementing and assessing future offerings that will improve productivity further
- Help us transform ideas into tangible benefits to Fastly engineers that enable them to delight our customers
- Offer guidance and mentoring as our team grows
What We're Looking For
- 5+ years of experience within the technology industry in support and/or development capacities
- Understanding of modern containerisation technologies like Docker and Kubernetes
- Confidence in developing solutions as part of a team and assisting in providing the support and documentation for others to consume what you create – and being happy to work alongside others in maintaining existing solutions, both off-the-shelf and developed in-house
- Ability to work within a team, share technical knowledge and experiences, and learn new skills
- Familiarity with coding practices like source control, review, CI/CD, testing, and the ability to create maintainable code
- Someone who enjoys the challenge of enabling and helping others
We value a variety of voices, so this is not a laundry list. It would be an added bonus if you have experience in ANY of these:
- Experience with any of the following is advantageous (but we’re happy for you to learn on the job!) OpsLevel, Jenkins, Chef and/or Ruby and any experience with GoLang
- The UNIX operating system (Linux, macOS, etc)
- Any experience with the challenges in running services initially designed for Intel in an M1/M2 based architecture containerised environment
We have a huge impact. Fastly is a small company with a big reach. Not only do our customers have a tremendous user base, but we also support a growing number of open source projects and initiatives. Outside of code, employees are encouraged to share causes close to their heart with others so we can help lend a supportive hand.
We love distributed teams. Fastly’s home-base is in San Francisco, but we have multiple offices and employees sprinkled around the globe. In fact, 50% of our employees work outside of SF! An international remote culture is in our DNA.
We care about you. Fastly works hard to create a positive environment for our employees, and we think your life outside of work is important too. We support our teams with great benefits like up to 20 weeks of paid parental leave, options for free medical/dental/vision plans, and an open vacation program that enables our folks to take the time they need to recharge (some benefits may vary by location).
We value diversity. Growing and maintaining our inclusive and diverse team matters to us. We are committed to being a company where our employees feel comfortable bringing their authentic selves to work and have the ability to be successful — every day.
We are passionate. Fastly is chock full of passionate people and we’re not ‘one size fits all’. Fastly employs authors, pilots, skiers, parents (of humans and animals), makeup geeks, coffee connoisseurs, and more. We love employees for who they are and what they are passionate about.
We’re always looking for humble, sharp, and creative folks to join the Fastly team. If you think you might be a fit, please apply!
Fastly is committed to ensuring equal employment opportunity and to providing employees with a safe and welcoming work environment free of discrimination and harassment.
Employment decisions at Fastly are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, family or parental status, disability*, age, veteran status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Fastly encourages applicants from all backgrounds.
*Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to reasonable accommodation under the terms of the Americans with Disabilities Act and certain state or local laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the way things are normally done which will ensure an equal employment opportunity without imposing undue hardship on Fastly. Please inform us if you need assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.