GitHub is seeking a forward-thinking, determined and innovative individual, who is passionate about the intersection of accessibility and technology, to lead the next evolution of our accessibility ambition at GitHub. This role will be responsible for further developing GitHub's accessibility vision, establishing and leading cross company accessibility governance and driving GitHub's mission to be the home for all developers and accelerate human progress through developer collaboration by ensuring innovation benefits everyone. This leader will be accountable for growing our culture of accessibility, acting as a spokesperson for the company and activating our employee and developer communities to contribute to bridging the disability divide.
GitHub's Accessibility Senior Director will have a proven track record of successful initiative development and management, experience working with engineering leaders and external stakeholders, and a history of driving cross-functional relationships across varying disciplines, business organizations, and role types.
- Build and drive the execution of GitHub's multiyear, company-wide accessibility strategy, in pursuit of GitHub's accessibility vision and commitments by driving accountability at scale through building the operations, compliance processes and reporting to track and communicate progress.
- Partner closely with our parent company, Microsoft and our engineering and product teams to ensure the Microsoft Accessibility Standards are implemented across our product suite and customer input is measured, tracked and addressed.
- Partner with leadership counterparts from product, design, engineering, HR, real estate and facilities, and other organizations to set and measure progress against commitments.
- Share GitHub's accessibility journey on the global stage by acting as the voice for GitHub through a number of speaking opportunities including published works, on-stage presence at conferences, high profile customer meetings and industry events.
- Build collaborative relationships with internal and external GitHub stakeholders and with the accessibility team at Microsoft, to identify additional opportunities to make GitHub the home for all developers and to maximize GitHub's contribution to bridging the disability divide.
- Externally, partner across regions, leadership, disability communities, and other stakeholders to evaluate and then improve accessibility organizational maturity.
- Champion an accessible and inclusive employee experience in all GitHub locations across the globe.
Activate and bring continuity to our employee groups and developer communities to drive innovation in accessibility and create real listening systems for these communities.
- On behalf of GitHub, participate in industry groups and the disability community to demonstrate GitHub's unique voice and contribution to accessibility in OSS communities.
- Communicate plans and progress and future aspirations, to leadership and employees, and provide external leadership with customers and stakeholders.
- 15+ years relevant experience with a proven track record building and running programs that address multifaceted accessibility issues.
- Experience establishing hub and spoke execution models and driving leadership accountability to companywide commitments
- Deep understanding of product roadmapping and experience working with product and engineering teams to embed new features into roadmap plans
- Proven track record of providing executive-level presentations, communications, and reporting
- Experience with establishing, maintaining, and fostering cross functional relationships and building communities focused on common accessibility goals
- Experience defining necessary data models to assess and interpret performance metrics and compliance risks
- Experience driving and participating in key accessibility initiatives such as product and tooling audits and employee-driven impact/education/onboarding programming
- Proven track record of delivering impact through programs, including managing cross-functional program teams and driving deliverables across complex projects
- Experience working with global, cross-functional teams outside of your own group in large/complex organization to build a strong internal network
- Ability to flourish, be proactive, and handle uncertainty and ambiguity
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to implement both strategy and tactical needs of the business
(Colorado only*) Minimum salary of $122,500 to maximum $260,000 + bonus + equity + benefits.
· Note: Disclosure as required by sb19-085 (8-5-20) of the minimum salary compensation for this role when being hired in Colorado.
Location: In this role, you can work remotely from anywhere in the United States or onsite in one of GitHub's U.S. offices (San Francisco, Bellevue, Raleigh)
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed – Trust by Default – Ship to Learn – Own the Outcome – Growth Mindset – Global Product, Global Team – Anything is Possible – Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.