This is a fully remote position.
Work on things that matter
Ad Hoc is a digital services company that helps the government better serve people through modern technology and product development practices. Some examples of the services we support include Healthcare.gov and VA.gov, both of which are used by millions of people. We help implement modern technologies that government agencies are increasingly interested in, bringing in best practices as we do: among other things, this includes API design, implementation, and governance; platform infrastructure for developers; responsive, accessible websites; and mobile applications.
What matters most
Ad Hoc operates according to our commitment to inclusivity, acceptance, accountability, and humility. We aren’t heroes. We believe in missions larger than our individual selves and leave our egos at the door, learn from our mistakes, and iterate in order to better serve the people in our country. We prioritize building teams that represent the diversity of the people our government serves. We love the challenge of government-size projects. We want to bring skills to federal agencies, help them better meet the needs of their users, and close the gap between consumer expectations and government.
Built for a remote life
Ad Hoc is remote-first and remote-always. We’ve designed our culture, communications, and tools to support a nationwide distributed team since the beginning. Being remote by design allows Ad Hoc to be thoughtful and intentional about creating diverse teams and supporting them with a work environment that fits their lives. With a generous PTO policy and Slack channels for every interest (from bird watching to space nerds to parenting) our culture embraces the things happening in your life. Maybe you need to adjust your schedule to care for your family or take a bike ride. At Ad Hoc, that’s embraced.
The Federal Health business unit covers our work with the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, including HealthCare.gov, Medicare.gov, and the Blue Button API. Our team supports Federal Heath in building and improving online public experiences and APIs that are reliable, accessible, and user-centered. We help millions of people enroll in healthcare and access Medicare and Medicaid benefits, and we help Federal Health improve the quality of Medicare and Medicaid services for beneficiaries and clinicians.
In this role, you will serve as an experienced individual contributor within a team, with the expectation that you will further develop your leadership, guidance and mentoring skills. With minimal oversight from leadership, you will be responsible for supporting the goal of meeting scope, schedule and delivery requirements. A Senior DevOps Engineer impacts the long-term goals of the program, while contributing to the development of the program’s DevOps and software engineering strategy. You may serve as the discipline’s primary lead when working with stakeholders and utilize strong influential skills to drive improvements in software engineering processes and practices. Primary expectations of a Senior DevOps Engineer include:
- Strong influential skills to collaborate across teams to consolidate and simplify DevOps tools and services
- Serves as a mentor to individuals within the team
- May leads small, less critical, or temporary team structures and projects
- Presents design documents, system diagrams, etc. to clients, stakeholders, partners, and other engineers
- Capable of self-directed cloud infrastructure design and pipeline design, including cloud-specific product offerings, and tradeoffs between cost, reliability, and efficiency
- Builds libraries, modules, and packages for other infrastructure engineers to integrate with their projects
- Builds cloud infrastructure that supports applications and Improves the broader developer experience for engineers
- Develops CI/CD processes to help deliver software of higher quality at greater speed
- Integrates tools to satisfy non-functional requirements such as quality thresholds, security vulnerabilities, and static analysis
- Builds specific application test and deployment pipelines using automated tooling such as Jenkins, Github Actions, Circle CI, Gitlab CI
- Proactively works with our government partners and app teams to ensure that we are shipping software that meets security, SLA, and performance requirements
- Participates in technical depth interviews with new candidates
- Monitor security hub
- Review operating system – Gold images – and provide monthly updates
Basic Qualifications (Please update with any contract related requirements):
- Bachelor's and 7+ years of experience
- Relevant years of experience may be substituted for education
- Demonstrates expert-level knowledge in at least one infrastructure-as-code tool (e.g. terraform, ansible)
- Expertise in key DevOps concepts: installing software, virtualization, containerization, networking, etc.
- Must be expert level in Jenkins, AWS, and Terrafrom
- Competent with Docker
- Company-subsidized Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Fidelity 401K Plan
- Self-managed PTO
- Much more!
Ad Hoc LLC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, pregnancy, disability, work-related injury, covered veteran status, political ideology, marital status, or any other factor that the law protects from employment discrimination.
In support of the Colorado Equal Pay Transparency Act, and others like it across the country, Ad Hoc job descriptions feature the starting range we reasonably expect to pay to candidates who would join our team with little to no need for training on the responsibilities we've outlined above. Actual compensation is influenced by a wide range of factors including but not limited to skill set, level of experience, and responsibility. The range of starting pay for this role is $120,000-$140,000 and information on benefits offered is here. Our recruiters will be happy to answer any questions you may have, and we look forward to learning more about your salary requirements.