Marqeta is on a mission to change the way money moves. We’re one of the earliest enablers of embedded finance, a market opportunity sized up in the trillions. Our card issuing platform provides unprecedented flexibility and control for companies to issue cards, authorize transactions, and manage payment operations in real time. Marqeta is powering the most well known brands in the new economy (Block, Cash App, Affirm, Instacart, Doordash, Uber, Walmart, etc). Today nearly 8 out of 10 Americans use a product powered by Marqeta every week. This is the opportunity of a lifetime to work with innovators around the world and unlock equitable financial access for all.
Marqeta Inc., is seeking a Corporate Counsel who will work on securities compliance, corporate transactions and intellectual property. Candidates should have 3-5+ years of corporate and securities experience gained working at a law firm, followed, preferably, by work in-house at a public company. This position reports to the Associate General Counsel, Corporate.
We work Flexible First. This role can be performed remotely anywhere within United States or from our office in Oakland, Ca. We’d love for you to join us!
What You’ll Do
- Evaluate, advise on and handle corporate securities and SEC reporting and compliance matters (including SEC filings, 10-Ks, 10-Qs, 8-Ks, S-8s and Section 16 filings).
- Provide support for stock option plan administration/equity compensation and employee benefits at public and private companies.
- Work on a variety of corporate transactions (M&A, JV’s, partnerships, financings) in the U.S. and internationally.
- Provide support on IP matters including handling with the assistance of outside counsel third-party patent assertions/litigation, patent licensing, and M&A
- Advise on corporate governance matters
- Support the board material preparation process
- Collaborate with and manage outside legal counsel.
- Be a team player and self-starter with drive and initiative.
- Have high integrity and great judgment while working across the organization.
What We’re Looking For
- 3-5+ years of relevant corporate and securities experience
- Top law firm experience and/or in-house experience in a corporate or securities compliance function at a public company strongly preferred.
- JD degree and member in good standing of a State Bar
- Results oriented with ability to manage multiple projects under tight deadlines.
- Positive attitude and commitment to excellence
- Ability to collaborate with and manage outside legal counsel
- Experience advising and working with senior leadership and executive teams
- Ability to independently drive accountability and influence outcomes
- Assertion when required – you’re able to challenge and be challenged both internally and with clients in a constructive and respectful way
- Advanced problem solving skills – you’re able to quickly digest a problem, evaluate solutions, and then empower others to deliver.
- Excellent communication, drafting and legal interpretation skills
- Demonstrated ability to handle a broad range of responsibilities and prioritize in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to balance legal risk mitigation against key business objectives and risks
- Team player with a positive attitude and commitment to excellence.
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills
- Ability to partner effectively with stakeholders at all levels of the organization
- Detail-oriented with strong analytical skills
- Demonstrated ability to convey complex information to senior management
Recruiter For This Role
- Application submission
- Recruiter phone call
- Hiring manager video call
- Virtual “Onsite” consisting of 4-5, 45 min calls
Compensation and Benefits
Marqeta is a Flex First company which allows you to choose your best working environment, whether that be from home or at a company office. To support Flex First, we calibrate pay to a competitive value according to working location. Compensation is aligned according to three tiers within the United States:
- National: A baseline tier that applies to most of the geographic territory of the United States.
- Premium: Slightly elevated from the National tier, and oriented toward a narrower set of higher cost-of-living areas, such as Los Angeles CA and Seattle WA
- Premium Plus: A tier for the most expensive working areas, like the San Francisco Bay area and New York City.
Visit this page or consult with a Recruiter to determine which tier would be applicable to you.
When determining salaries, we consider several factors including, but not limited to, skills, prior experience, and work location. The new-hire base salary range for this position is:
- National: $120,000 – $160,000
- Premium: $135,000 – $180,000
- Premium Plus: $150,000 – $200,000
We also believe in recognizing the contributions of our people. That's why we award annual bonuses to eligible employees, rewarding both individual performance and the success of the entire company.
Along with monetary compensation, Marqeta offers
- Multiple health insurance options
- Flexible time off – take what you need
- Retirement savings program with company contribution
- Equity in a publicly-traded company and an Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Family-forming benefits, fertility support, and up to 20 weeks of Parental Leave
- Free therapy sessions, financial and professional coaching, and legal advice
- Monthly stipend to support our remote work model
- Annual “development dollars” to support our people growth and development
Equal Opportunity, Accommodations, and Privacy
Marqeta is proud to be an equal opportunity employer that gives consideration to all qualified applicants, irrespective of any characteristics protected by law. This includes (but is not limited to) race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, color, ancestry, and Veteran status. We consider qualified applicants from all backgrounds, without regard to criminal histories, in accordance with applicable legal requirements.
Our dedication to diversity and inclusion extends beyond the categories above. Review Marqeta’s ESG Report to see that dedication in action. Fostering an environment where everyone feels valued and respected creates a stronger and more innovative team at Marqeta. We celebrate the unique contributions of each individual and empower all members of our organization. Join us in building a company where diversity thrives and everyone can be their authentic selves.
If you require reasonable accommodation for the application process and beyond, please submit this form and we will be more than happy to assist you. Marqeta will make reasonable accommodations for candidates when needed in accordance with applicable law. The Applicant and Candidate Privacy Notice applies to the personal data that you directly provide to us or that we collect during the application and candidate recruitment process.