Ruby Engineer -Data/ETL – Remote
Within3 Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States Full-time 2022-07-27
Within3 is searching for an experienced Ruby Engineer to work within an agile team to implement and maintain secure, scalable, cloud-based data/ETL pipelines for our public and customer specific data integrations. We are hiring for an engineer with a solid technical foundation who is curious and compassionate. Our team sources data from a variety of systems and processes the data for use in both internal and external products.
We are a remote-first engineering team spanning multiple time zones and countries. Daily collaboration heavily utilizes GitHub, Slack, Zoom and Jira. Our focus is on the business needs with an eye toward data flows and integrity. We strive to provide high quality code through practices such as TDD, pair programming, continuous delivery, scalable design and individual knowledge growth. And we maintain a commitment to balancing resources across new features, emerging technologies and technical debt.
- Develop a deep appreciation and understanding of data, systems and scale.
- Engage in fluid communication, transparency and accountability both within the engineering team and other teams in the company.
- Work collaboratively with a distributed team to deliver modern, scalable, SaaS software across multiple cloud providers.
- Work directly with product owners to refine internal and external requirements so we build the right solution to a problem.
- Design, guide and advance existing, as well as new, services and infrastructure for key data delivery pipelines which service the company’s flagship SaaS platform.
- Write comprehensible, extensible, maintainable and testable code.
- Be curious, empathetic, and humble.
- Engage in the continued pursuit of improved skills and knowledge.
- Engage in sharing knowledge and feedback.
- Work with SREs to contribute to the platform stability, availability, and quality.
- Education: Formal higher-education degrees in STEM fields or vocational certificates related to software development are preferred, but not required. Real-world experience and proven track records count as much, if not more.
- 2-3+ years of professional programming experience with languages and frameworks such as Ruby, Rails, Python, etc.
- Proficient with relational and NoSQL databases with direct experience using at least one of PostgreSQL, MySQL, Couchbase, Redis and/or DynamoDB.
- Solid understanding of modern API design patterns (REST, GraphQL, JSON, etc.)
- Strong collaboration and communication (verbal and written) skills.
- Flourishes in a team which delights in collaborating, building each other up and continuous learning.
- Ability to foster cross-team relationships with empathy and respect.
- Enthusiastic and passionate about data, service-oriented architectures and scalable systems.
- Experience with SOA, job queues, concurrent programming and observability are a plus.
- Understanding of privacy-by-design frameworks and code-level security techniques is a plus.
- Ruby on Rails
- PostgreSQL, Redis, Couchbase and other time series and graph databases
- New Relic
- AWS, Heroku
- Health Care Plan (Medical, Dental & Vision)
- Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off (Vacation, Sick & Public Holidays)
- A work/life balance beyond compare. And we mean it!