POSITION TITLE: Proposal Lead Technical Writer (Consultants)
LOCATION: US Remote
UNIT: Agriculture, Resilience, and Water
REPORTS TO: Senior New Business Manager and Proposal Leads as assigned
Winrock is looking to add dynamic, organized Technical Writers who are passionate about being a part of a global team of individuals committed to improving lives and livelihoods worldwide through development of compelling and responsive proposals. Successful candidates will be energetic proposal strategy specialists who have:
- A proven record of success serving as the lead writer on winning proposals for USAID and USDA valued at $10M or more.
- Superior writing skills and an ability to communicate complex technical ideas in a clear and compelling way.
- The ability to synthesize inputs from multiple writers into one cohesive document with a unified voice.
- A talent for writing within strict page limits and conceptualizing ideas for graphics that convey key information.
- An in-depth knowledge of USAID and USDA Foreign Agricultural Service funder priorities and strategies.
Selected writers will collaborate on proposals with Winrock’s Agriculture, Resilience, and Water (ARW) Group. We work with rural communities, businesses, and local leaders to develop market-oriented, climate-smart solutions at scale that increase food production and profitability, expand market access, secure natural resources, and build resilient livelihoods. Using a systems lens, we apply local and global expertise to advance inclusive, equitable, and sustainable economic growth for all, especially the historically marginalized. Candidates who possess in-depth knowledge of Winrock’s technical sectors in addition to the characteristics mentioned above will be highly desirable. ARW’s technical areas include: climate-smart agriculture, climate adaptation for rural livelihoods, entrepreneurship and private sector development, household and systems resilience, local capacity strengthening, market systems development approaches, value chain analysis and development, water security and governance, and Water Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH).
- Thoroughly review solicitation and any supporting documents, becoming an expert on funder instructions and requirements
- Work with the proposal team to develop a detailed, compliant outline that will guide the organization and content of proposal sections
- Integrate inputs from technical experts and supporting writers into a compelling and compliant document that clearly conveys proposal win themes and technical solutions, while meeting funder instructions and requirements
- Identify gaps and provide clear direction/pose questions to the proposal team in order to solicit the inputs required
- Collaborate with the proposal team to incorporate the suggestions and feedback of proposal reviewers (typically 2-3 formal review gates per proposal)
- Follow proposal calendar and meet established deadlines
QUALIFICATIONS AND BACKGROUND:
Education: Master’s degree or equivalent experience in a related field required.
Work Experience: Minimum 8 years’ experience writing and developing proposals in response to solicitations from USAID, USDA, or other funders.
- Exceptional conceptual, analytical, writing, and editing skills, including knack for synthesizing large amounts of information into persuasive, clear language and graphics.
- Proven experience and success as lead technical writer on proposals in ARW's technical areas, working as part of large, multi-disciplinary teams across countries and time zones.
- Ability to consistently meet proposal deadlines.
- English fluency required. Working knowledge of a second language is preferred.
Winrock is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and value diversity and inclusiveness. Winrock recruits, employs, trains, promotes and compensates regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law.
At Winrock we have a clear mission: Empower the disadvantaged, increase economic opportunity and sustain natural resources through unwavering dedication to accountability, equity, innovation, integrity and transformation.
Winrock knows that its success comes from the hard work and steadfast dedication of its diverse workforce. Winrock remains committed to maintaining diversity, inclusion and equity across the entire organization