(United States, Canada, Mexico, Chile, Argentina, Brazil, UK, Ireland, Germany, Sweden, Norway, Poland, Spain, Austria, Slovenia, Czech Republic, Portugal, Netherlands, Switzerland)
We are targeting GMT +1 to GMT -8 in the countries identified with core overlapping hours of 10am-1pm Eastern Standard
At Stack Overflow, our mission is to serve developers. Whether we’re helping developers get answers to their questions, work more efficiently with their team, or find a new job, we build products that make millions of developers’ lives better every day. As a product manager at Stack Overflow, you’ll create and build inclusive products that directly impact the work and the lives of those developers.
In this particular role, you’ll be leading a team dedicated to the Stack Overflow for Teams product. As a product manager on this team, you’ll join a cross-functional team of product managers, developers, designers, and product researchers working on our B2B SaaS knowledge sharing and collaboration platform. Stack Overflow for Teams gives organizations a private, secure home for their team’s questions and answers, as well as a robust set of tools to manage their community. Our customers include Microsoft, Bloomberg, and many other Fortune 500 names.
We’re constantly exploring new features, optimizing in-product experience for both new and existing users and more recently added a Freemium tier that gave our self-serve product led transformation a huge boost. This is a great opportunity to work on a product with a wide variety of features and complex problems with a team that’s excited to solve them.
The ideal candidate has prior experience building B2B SaaS products and is excited to grow and innovate on offering.
You’ll have the opportunity to do a lot. Here’s what you can expect during your first year:
- First Month: Get onboarded and brought up to speed on our current plans. You’ll spend a lot of time learning about our products, building rapport with the product, engineering, marketing, sales, customer success, and product support teams, and contributing to small features. During this time, you’ll be working closely with our existing Teams product teams.
- Next 3 Months: Begin running your product team of engineers, and designer while working with researchers and other Teams’ product managers. Acquire a deep understanding of the biggest opportunities and pain points for our customers across all tiers through past and new user research. This will include expanding our product suite to better address their needs, and improving their overall experience on the platform. You’ll speak with users and customers, write specs, run experiments, and iterate on ideas with your team and stakeholders.
- Next 8 months: You will take a leadership role developing the long-term roadmap for your product team. You’ll be involved not just in product development, but in defining long-term strategy, improving our processes, and advocating for the best way to enable our customers to build health, and vibrant communities on Teams.
What you’ll do:
- Collaborate with the product team and key stakeholders to execute on the overall strategy for Stack Overflow for Teams
- Establish and lead a sub-team (pod) within Teams
- Build a product roadmap, maintain a backlog of projects, and manage the priorities for your product team
- Partner with product research & design to understand the core issues that our users and customers care about, and to minimize the risk of unintended consequences or harm
- Partner with our engineering team to build and deliver features and improvements
- Work closely with various stakeholders across sales, marketing, product support, and customer success to align strategy and priorities
- Innovate on our products through workshops, research, and experiments
- Define and monitor metrics to determine the effectiveness of features, and administer split tests to measure overall impact
- Interact with our community of customers around the world to gather ideas and feedback
What we need to see:
- 4+ years in a product management or related role
- Experience working on a B2B SaaS product, preferably building web applications at scale
- Hands-on experience with Community based products is a huge plus
- Familiarity with Stack Overflow or other communities are preferred
- Excellent spec-writing skills with a clear ability to break down complex problems into smaller, manageable pieces
- An understanding of the technical, design, and UX implications of your functional requirements
- Experience with usability testing and A/B tests
- Demonstrated written communication skills whether that's online posts, specs, blogging, or anything else
- Candidates with experience managing API 3rd party integrations, search and recommendations will be prioritized.
- We’re a distributed, remote team and you’ll be part of a work culture that emphasizes online & asynchronous communication with minimal meetings and ceremonies
- We’re generally very flexible on working hours, though we do ask everyone on the team to maintain an overlap of (at least) 10AM – 1PM US Eastern time
- We don’t consider applications without cover letters – please make sure to include yours and talk about why you want to work here!
What you’ll get in return:
- Competitive Base Salary between $119K and $161K USD
- 20 days paid vacation
- Generous parental leave (16 weeks at 100% pay), family care leave, and paid sick days
- Equity grant
- Completely free in-network health insurance (no copay, no premiums)
- 401K match
- Health & Wellness stipend
- Home Internet stipend
- Employees will never be poked with a sharp stick
If your role is not located in one of our offices…. We’ll reimburse you up to $2,000 to set up a great home office.
If you want to work in our office… You’ll be in our headquarters in New York City, and enjoy additional benefits like free lunches, transportation reimbursement, and all the espresso you can drink.
About Stack Overflow
Stack Overflow is the largest, most trusted online community for technologists to learn, share their knowledge, collaborate, and build their careers. More than 50 million professional and aspiring programmers and technologists visit Stack Overflow each month to help solve coding problems, develop new skills, and find job opportunities.
Our products and tools help developers and technologists in life and at work. These include Stack Overflow for Teams, which focuses on knowledge management and collaboration, and Reach & Relevance, which focuses on developer marketing, community development, and employer branding.
We believe in hiring smart people and getting out of their way. We have an office in New York (currently closed due to the pandemic) with some of the best amenities and we have people who work remotely all over the world.
Our core values guide our work.
- Keep Community at Our Center: Community is at the heart of everything we do. Nurture healthy communities where everyone is encouraged to learn and give back.
- Adopt a Customer-First Mindset: Authentically serve our customers by empowering, listening and collaborating with our fellow Stackers.
- Be Flexible and Inclusive: We do our best work when a diverse group of people collaborate in an environment of respect and trust. Create space for different voices to be heard, and allow flexibility in how people work.
- Be Transparent: Communicate openly and honestly, both inside and outside the company. Encourage transparency from others by being empathetic, reliable, and acting with integrity.
- Empower People to Deliver Outstanding Results: Give people space to get their job done, support them when they need it, and practice blameless accountability.
- Learn, Share, and Grow: Adopt a Growth Mindset. Be curious and eager to learn. Aim for ethical, sustainable, long-term growth, both personally and in the company
We’re a remote-first team and you’ll be part of a remote work culture that emphasizes online communication (Slack, GitHub, Hangouts, Zoom, Stack Overflow for Teams).
We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying. For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Diverse teams build better products.
Legally, we need you to know this:
Stack Exchange, Inc. does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. We support workplace diversity.
But we want to add this:
We strongly believe that diversity of experience contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better company and better products. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can and we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.