Muck Rack is the leading SaaS platform for public relations and communications professionals. Our mission is to enable organizations to build trust, tell their stories and demonstrate the unique value of earned media. Muck Rack’s Public Relations Management (PRM) platform enables organizations to build relationships with the media, manage crisis risk and demonstrate PR’s impact on business outcomes.
Founder controlled, fully distributed, and growing sustainably, Muck Rack has received several awards for its unparalleled culture and product from organizations like Inc., Quartz, G2, and BuiltIn. We value resilience, transparency, ownership, & customer devotion and infuse these values into everything we do.
We’re looking for an experienced and collaborative Product Manager to join our Search & Monitoring tech team who is primarily responsible for Muck Rack’s search and alerting experiences.
Reporting to our Associate Director of Product, you'd join a 20-person Product team consisting of product managers, product operations, and product designers, all motivated to build a best-in-industry solution. As a Product Manager, you will work cross-functionally with tech teams to improve how Muck Rack helps our PR Team users in quickly and easily finding people and content important to their brand campaigns so they can take action accordingly.
What you’ll do:
- Write clear user stories, requirements, and acceptance criteria to ensure tech teams have the clarity they need to deliver high quality outcomes for users
- Maintain the day-to-day backlog with the engineering teams, ensuring all tickets are prioritized and planned to meet targeted milestones
- Create and maintain project plans on more major projects to ensure cross-functional dependencies are known and tracked, and define and track progress against project OKRs
- Communicate effectively with team members and key stakeholders to achieve project goals and to identify and mitigate risks as they arise
- Collaborate with engineering, UX, and Tech leadership to identify, assess, and align on potential solutions for roadmap opportunities, and to communicate plans accordingly
- Lead the product development lifecycle, from solution definition through QA, release planning and launch
- Partner with User Experience to interview users to understand and identify needs and pain points for the industries we serve
- Define metrics to assess the health of your product area and enact a plan for quality assurance
- Analyze and monitor qualitative and quantitative data on Muck Rack usage to develop world-class user experiences
How success will be measured in this role:
- Product Execution & Launch: clearly and effectively define product requirements and plans to track, manage, and communicate status of feature releases
- Backlog Management & Communication: manage team backlogs taking into account bugs, tech debt, and roadmap items, and communicate effectively and collaboratively with all team members to ensure alignment
- Customer First: communicate effectively with customers and have an understanding of how to synthesize across multiple sources of user data and feedback, and creatively connect it to product strategy and development
- Presentation: effectively present complex ideas across internal audiences, backed with quantitative and qualitative evidence, garnering buy-in and adoption cross-departmentally
- Relationships: build strong relationships cross-functionally and cross-departmentally to ensure successful feature adoption
If the details below describe you, you could be a great fit for this role:
- 3+ years of product management experience, ideally with experience building or enhancing search functionality
- Proficiency in leading product development teams from discovery to execution, and defining and refining product and technical requirements. Past experience with hybrid or distributed teams is a plus.
- Experience in using product development tools (ex. JIRA, Shortcut or Linear), navigating product analytics (ex. Heap, Pendo, SQL), and collaborative tools (ex. Miro, FigJam, LucidCharts, etc.)
- Strong self-management practices with attention to detail
- Strong written and verbal presentation skills, with a bias for documentation, knowledge sharing, and socializing product needs
- Ability to distill business needs and evolve and support the product to meet those needs
- Experience working on a complex, data-rich platform
- Experience designing, building, maintaining, and/or educating on internal company tools and processes
- Experience designing, building and simplifying user experience across multi-relational features
Below you'll find an outline of the interview plan for this role. Please note that this is what we expect the process to look like; we may ask you for supplemental information or require an additional step before making a final decision.
- 30 minute interview with a member of our Talent Team
- 60 minute zoom interview with the hiring manager
- Skills assessment (2 hours max)
- Peer interviews with several team members
- Final call(s) with executive team member(s)
In the US, the base salary for this role is $135,000-151,000, depending on skills and experience. We take a geo-neutral approach to compensation within the US, meaning that we pay based on job function and level, not location. For all other countries, we have competitive pay bands based on market standards.
Individual compensation decisions are based on a number of factors, including experience level, skillset, and balancing internal equity relative to peers at the company. We expect the majority of the candidates who are offered roles at our company to fall healthily throughout the range based on these factors. We recognize that the person we hire may be less experienced (or more senior) than this job description as posted. If that ends up being the case, the updated salary range will be communicated with you as a candidate.
Why Muck Rack?
Remote Work, Forever. We’re a fully distributed team and have pledged to remain that way forever. We offer employees a full home office setup, phone & internet reimbursement, and a monthly coworking membership. We build culture through virtual and in-person team bonding opportunities including team lunches, friendly competitions, and celebratory events!
Transparent Compensation. We offer competitive geo-neutral pay in the U.S. and review compensation at least once annually to ensure internal equity and alignment with the external market. Depending on the role, we offer either a standardized bonus program or attainable commission structure and an opportunity to earn equity in the company. All employees are eligible for our 401(k) plan* with employer contributions.
Health & Wellness*. Muck Rack provides comprehensive health, dental, vision, disability and life insurance for employees and their families. We offer a high-deductible health plan with 100% premium coverage for individuals, as well as a range of other plan options. Our team also has access to 24/7 Virtual Care, an Employee Assistance Program, employer-funded HSA contributions, and other pre-tax benefits. Team members have access to a quarterly wellness stipend and a free Headspace subscription.
PTO and Family Benefits. Our team enjoys 4+ weeks of off-the-grid PTO, plus paid sick/mental health days, summer Fridays, and 13 paid holidays. In order to combat Zoom fatigue and allow for deep work without interruption, we have implemented “No Internal Meeting Fridays” year round. We also provide up to 16 weeks of fully paid parental leave.
Personal & Professional Development. We grow talent by creating internal pathways for advancement and promotion. Muck Rack conducts bi-annual performance reviews, hosts team-wide workshops, and offers management training and leadership training opportunities. We also provide unlimited subscriptions to L&D platforms including Coursera & O’Reilly, as well as 2 additional days of PTO to dedicate to learning and development.
Culture of Inclusion. We know that diverse perspectives breed innovation and help us better serve our customers. We are committed to ensuring employees feel their identities are valued and that people of all backgrounds and points of view are treated equitably.
Customer-First. Founder-controlled means we have the freedom to be nimble, highly collaborative and innovative, building forward-thinking products that enable 3,000+ companies around the world to build trust, tell their stories and demonstrate the unique value of earned media.
*These benefits are specific to US-based employees. In some, but not all, cases we are able to offer equivalent benefits to employees located outside of the United States.
While we are a fully distributed team, we do have limitations on where we can hire and maintain a list of acceptable working locations based on job function. If we are unable to hire in your current location for the role for which you applied, you will be notified via email. While we enjoy many benefits as a permanently distributed and remote company, we cannot always support relocation or extended travel and have guidelines in place to ensure compliant work away from your designated permanent residence.