Appcues is a platform that empowers thousands of SaaS companies to design beautiful in-app experiences that influence their user’s behavior — without writing any code.
We’re looking for a Product Design Team Lead to join our Product org. We seek a hands-on team player with a meticulous eye for design, and a drive to create beautiful experiences for our customers.
The Design Team Lead position is a “player-coach” role that involves three direct reports, while also holding individual contributor responsibilities. We expect this amounts to approximately a 70/30 split for the player/coach aspect. This is a perfect role for someone ready to expand their career to include design team management.
About the role
- You will own all things product design at Appcues, including leading our team of three outstanding product designers. You will partner with others in product and engineering to deliver on our product vision.
- In addition to managing all design, you will also be the designer on a squad (squad = engineers + product manager + designer) focused on new product initiatives.
- You will influence the design of thousands of other products. Appcues has powered 3.6 billion user experiences across 1,500+ customers’ products.
- You’ll be responsible for helping level up the careers of our design team.
- You’ll be responsible for leveling up the overall quality of the Appcues design process to ensure that the work of our design team is making the right tradeoffs to ensure speed and quality.
- You’ll be responsible for ensuring that our user research and discovery processes are improving. You’ll lead the team in user testing & research on a regular basis as a foundation for making a great product.
- You have taste. You obsess over product experience and can usually pinpoint 5 things you’d change about a product within your first 30 mins of using it (including ours, we hope).
- You believe that the work isn’t done until users love it. You have a desire to improve everything you touch, and a portfolio that showcases doing so through great design taste and experience.
- You are curious and motivated by learning. You can give examples of how you’ve learned from customers and used shipping as an opportunity to improve your product. You shape your teams to think this way too. Everyone around you develops more market awareness.
- You have worked on B2B software product teams in the past and have a strong opinion on the designer’s role on the team.
- You have a track record of mentoring other designers, either those you’ve formally managed or just worked alongside.