WHO WE ARE
New York Magazine obsessively chronicles the ideas, people, and cultural events that are forever reshaping our world. The New York brand includes the groundbreaking magazine New York, which is published biweekly in print, and six thriving verticals: Intelligencer, delivering national news and sharp commentary on politics, business, technology, and media; the Cut, covering the conversations that matter most to women today; Vulture, the premier destination for culture news, criticism, and service; the Strategist, dedicated to shopping the internet smartly; Curbed, covering cities and city life; and Grub Street, home to food news and authoritative restaurant criticism.
New York Magazine is part of Vox Media, the leading modern media company. We guide our audience from discovery to obsession. We inspire essential conversations about what’s now, what’s next, and what’s possible.
As a community of journalists and storytellers, business professionals, creators and technologists, we believe it is a moral and business imperative to amplify voices: to cultivate diversity, equity, and inclusion throughout our organization and media. This applies to our candidates, our teams, our storytelling, our creative work, and our platforms, products, and partnerships.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Work with the director and host to plan and produce episodes, from booking guests to scripting and delivering a twice weekly podcast.
- Track major tech, business, and political stories and work with the director to pitch and help determine editorial coverage.
- Work on all aspects of audio production, including prepping, recording and assembling cuts for two episodes per week.
- Develop pitches, expand guest networks and chase big bookings
- Deliver hard-hitting, well-shaped and sharp question prep for the host’s interviews with leaders in business, government and culture. Work closely with director to sharpen and integrate notes in these preps and to shape the overall episodes.
- Work closely with the senior producer on key aspects of the show, including show and episode calendar and episode notes.
- Fact check episodes, including live fact checks during taping and post-production fact-checking which will also entail addressing edits in tape.
- Manage and maintain the production calendar for each episode.
- Work with guests to schedule tapings and perform tech checks.
- Help shape conversations during live tapings, providing direction to host/director
- Shape each episode in tape, and integrate notes from the director and senior producer.
- Work with engineer on key aspects of tech checks and hand offs of episodes to mix.
- Help coordinate moving parts of an episode, including fact-checking, engineering and episode copy/upload to make collaboration as seamless as possible
- Mentor associate producer as needed
- Be responsible for your episodes through QC and oversee the publication process to ensure no detail is missed.
- Collaborate with the host, director and team to brainstorm new ideas for coverage, segments and initiatives to grow the show.
WHO YOU ARE
- 3-5 years prepping, producing and editing podcasts or other audio or visual journalism
- Experience working with hosts, and ideally in prepping and directing hosted interviews
- Experience fact-checking, ideally during live tapings
- Comfort working in ProTools or other DAWs and a desire to grow production skills
- Comfort with working in a website CMS
- An extroversion that lends itself to booking high-profile guests and chasing big gets
- A strong interest in our key areas of coverage: news, politics, culture
- An obsession with tech and culture news and a strong sense of stories and characters that will shape Silicon Valley, Hollywood, Washington DC and other centers of power
If you think you have what it takes, but don't meet every single point in our job posting, please apply with a cover letter to let us know how you believe you can bring your unique skills to the Vox Media team or get in touch! We’ve hired chefs who became editors, DJs who became UX designers, and sommeliers who became writers.
WHERE YOU’LL WORK
This job is hybrid. We’re dedicated to the health and wellbeing of all of our employees, and when we reopen, will require everyone who works from one of our offices to be fully-vaccinated against COVID-19. Employees with approved religious or medical exemptions may be subject to additional safety requirements, such as submitting to regular COVID-19 testing and/or wearing a face covering in our offices.
WHY VOX MEDIA?
WHAT WE OFFER
This is a permanent, full-time position. This job is benefits-eligible. We pride ourselves in providing comprehensive benefits to support all of our employees wherever they are in life. You can find more information about our benefits here.
OUR DEI+ COMMITMENT
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment where everyone can show up as their authentic selves and create their best work. We recognize that great stories, platforms, products and services come from people with all manner of backgrounds and experiences. We recognize that our commitments require ongoing work and sustained attention, as well as adaptation to new insights and best practices. We keep our diversity data public for the sake of accountability, transparency and communication. Learn more about our values here, and our approach to corporate citizenship here.
Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law. Vox Media will also consider all qualified applicants with criminal histories in accordance with applicable Fair Chance laws. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations as part of the application process to candidates with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation as part of the application process, please contact our People & Culture team (firstname.lastname@example.org).
WHAT COMES NEXT
Our recruiting team will go through applications in a timely manner. Please note that our recruiting team will only contact you from @voxmedia.com email addresses, never via text message. Read more about how our recruiting team operates, and how to protect yourself from recruitment fraud, here.