See yourself at Twilio
Join the team as our next Principal Software Engineer – Twilio Engage, Marketing Analytics
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we have presence throughout South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. We're on a journey to becoming a globally anti-racist, anti-oppressive, anti-bias company that actively opposes racism and all forms of oppression and bias. At Twilio, we support diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business. We employ thousands of Twilions worldwide, and we're looking for more builders, creators, and visionaries to help fuel our growth momentum.
About the job
As a Principal Software Engineer on the Twilio Engage Marketing Analytics team, you’ll lead architectural solutions that will enable us to achieve our goal of providing a robust set of services to enable Analytics on our data. Not only will you be responsible for tackling some of the most complex and exciting technical problems in the industry, you will also be working across the product scope based on priority need and work directly with others to provide advice and guidance on implementation approach, engage in cross-team technical discussions, build relationships across architecture and engineering that help resolve bottlenecks and provide the best production solution.
You will need to understand and articulate the trade-offs between new functionality and stability. You will need to persuade all involved to make the right architectural choices for the long term technical and financial health of the product.
We iterate quickly on products and features and learn new things daily — all while writing quality code. We work closely with product and design and solve some of the toughest engineering problems to unlock new possibilities for our customers. If you get excited by building products with high customer impact — this is the place for you.
In this role, you’ll:
- Become the architect and tech lead for Marketing Analytics within Twilio Engage
- Always find ways to improve our architecture and delivering results
- Take ownership of our Software Design Documents
- Design and build application which scale per our business needs
- Work across teams to influence decision making improving overall architecture and design
- Collaborate with subject matter experts, fellow developers, and internal stakeholders to turn business goals into achievable technical roadmaps
- Drive operational excellence, maintaining robust uptime and enabling continuous delivery
- Mentor a distributed team of skilled engineers
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- 7+ years of experience writing production-grade code in a modern programming language
- Experience as a technical leader mentoring and providing leadership to engineering teams
- Experience designing and implementing highly available, performant, and fault-tolerant distributed systems
- Exposure to architectural design patterns of high-scale systems (e.g. well-designed APIs, high volume data pipelines, efficient algorithms) and experience navigating and understanding large-scale software architectures
- Solid grasp of Linux systems and networking concepts
- Experience maintaining and operating always-on cloud services
- Experience taking challenging projects across the finish line, from gathering requirements to deploying and debugging systems in production
- Experience interfacing with stakeholders and translating customer requirements into software solutions; motivated and driven to deliver customer impact
- Comfortable asking questions and taking initiative to solve problems in a rapidly growing company, where it is often necessary to “draw the owl”
- Demonstrated commitment to seeking diverse viewpoints and acting with intention to create an inclusive team environment
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Experience with NodeJS and Golang
- Experience managing AWS infrastructure
- Experience with Kubernetes and Terraform
- Experience with distributed databases
- Track record of open source contributions
This role will be remote, and based in the USA.
Approximately 0% travel is anticipated.
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.
- The estimated pay range for this role, based in Colorado, is $176,080 – $220,100.
- Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
The successful candidate’s starting salary will be determined based on permissible, non-discriminatory factors such as skills, experience, and geographic location within the state. This role is also eligible to participate in Twilio’s equity plan and for the following benefits: health care insurance, 401(k) retirement account, paid sick time, paid personal time off, paid parental leave.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Twilio is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, reproductive health decisions, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Additionally, Twilio participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Twilio is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at email@example.com.