As a Principal Consultant you will be part of a team based approach, supply complete support for all aspects of database administration and/or system administration to a variety of clients, as assigned.
You will assist the Team Manager, Lead Database Consultant, and Director Manager Services in ensuring quality and adherence to technical processes and standards with regards to the servicing of clients, take on a greater role in supporting Pythian’s external profile and in the training and mentoring of team members.
The Principal Consultant plays a critical role in the following key areas of responsibility:
Delivery, consulting and bringing improvements and optimisation to managed service customers.
Training and mentoring – both technical and customer satisfaction oriented.
Advisory to LOB leadership on recommended changes and improvements to help grow the practice and help implement the change.
It is expected that this position will correspond to roughly 50% of the employee’s time being charged to billable hours, unless otherwise agreed upon with one’s manager, and that the employee will be available as an on-call technical escalation point.
What will you be doing?
- Achieve your billable target of 50% and your effective utilization target of 75%.
- Your billable target is subject to modification by Pythian, in its sole discretion, to meet its business needs.
- Provides, at a high level of technical capability, coordination, analysis, design, implementation, and administration of client IT solutions and be capable of taking on or assisting with the most difficult technical problems, as escalated by the Team Manager or Lead Consultant, and with the approval of the Vice President.
- Reviews the work of all teams within the cluster for quality and adherence to technical processes and standards.
- Provides technical documentation templates to be used by the team for client work, Provides technical leadership on client accounts as well as technical leadership and oversight to all team members within the practice.
- Recommendation of best practices for improvements to current operational processes and procedures.
- Review customer database technology requirements.
- Write and present database recommendations to customers.
- Assist customers in the design and development of technology proof of concept evaluations.
- Together with other team members, takes on a personal ownership stake in client satisfaction.
- Develop, maintain and strengthen relationships with internal and client stakeholders. Ability to manage diverse relationships.
- Takes on a leadership role in recommending new monitoring checks, enhancement to Database Consultants toolkits, and other process improvements, especially but not limited to those that increase the value of the service that Pythian brings to its clients.
- Takes on a leadership role in suggesting and/or recommending improvements to internal systems tools.
- As agreed upon with Marketing and with the approval of one’s manager, takes on a leadership role in the preparation of marketing collateral including but not limited to web site material and presentations at conferences or trade shows, participation in local user groups, and on the technology blogging front.
- Investigates and assesses new technologies and developments relevant to Pythian.
- Documents findings or otherwise advises team members, including those from other clusters, to increase awareness and capabilities of Pythian staff, and, with the approval of one’s manager, assists in the preparation and presentation of employee training courses or materials.
- Takes on a leadership role in the help and mentoring of team members within the practice.
- Serve as the most senior technical resource in the delivery of:
- Troubleshooting of operational problems, including performanceRestoration and recovery of corrupted databasesDatabase server configuration and maintenance.
- Administration of backup procedures and disaster recovery plans.
- Develop technical standards and processes for the open source practice.
What do you get in return?
- Competitive total rewards package including an annual bonus plan
- Flexible work environment
- Outstanding people: Collaborate with the industry’s top minds around the world.
- Substantial training allowance: Hone your skills or learn new ones; participate in professional development days, attend conferences, become certified, whatever you like!
- Office Allowance: A device of your choosing and personalise your work environment!
- Blog during work hours; take a day off and volunteer for your favorite charity.