The Network Security Engineer is a key element within the Rackspace support infrastructure and is expected to provide a high level of technical support to our customers via the phone, ticketing system, and automation. This role owns complex customer issues which may take several days or weeks to resolve and keeps our customers updated through every step of the process. The Network Security Engineer is expected to take initiative and advise on potential pitfalls that a customer may encounter and suggest alternatives through automation, which may better serve the stability and security of the customer’s solution.
Technical issues can include troubleshooting customer network environments including firewall configurations, VPN technologies and access-control lists, VIP configurations, TCL (iRule) and Perl scripts, layer 4 thru 7 issues. The role will also support many elements of the Rackspace Cloud product portfolio, including RackConnect. The Network Engineer will create and maintain customer loyalty by providing Fanatical Experiences above and beyond customer expectations. Responsible for adhering to company security policies and procedures and any other relevant policies and standards as directed.
- Systems Thinking: Takes a whole systems approach to analyze issues and implements holistic solutions by ensuring that linkages between structure, people, process and technology are made
- Idea Creation: Designs completely new solutions, methods and products, where nothing existed prior
- Other Incidental tasks related to the job, as necessary.
- Configure, troubleshoot, and take escalations for Firewalls & Load Balancers, Windows/Linux system administration, or Cloud Native Tooling
- Create documentation for support and operations tasks regarding the above tools
- Mentor and train lower level Rackers
- Configure, plan, install, maintain, and optimize network systems, equipment, and applications ensuring network protocols and security policies are used effectively
- Solve engineering problems through the ownership of level appropriate customer requests and issues, seeing them through to resolution
- Design, schedule and coordinate maintenances
- Engineer and implement customized security solutions
- Collaborate with Account Managers and Business Development Consultants to build strong customer relationships
- Collaborate and share knowledge with other Engineers and Administrators on the support floor
- Advanced knowledge of:
- Infrastructure, Automation (Preferred), NexGen Firewalls (For example: Cisco Firepower, Palo Alto etc), IPSEC and SSL VPN technologies, Profile Management (For example: MPF, DOS Protection)
- Networking concepts and devices [All OSI Layers], Load balancers (For example: F5, Citrix), HTTP Protocol, Secure Socket Layer (SSL), DNS, Content switching policies, additional modules from different vendors (For example: GTM, APM, AFM)
- Understanding of network packet analysis via tools such as wireshark and TCP dump.
- Developing knowledge in Networking, Windows administration, or Linux administration
- Understanding of how traffic flows through an environment, both hosting-based and cloud-based environments
- Advanced understanding of:
- Dynamic Routing Protocols (for example: BGP, OSPF),
- Security concepts, principles, and technologies
- Public cloud platforms
- Understanding of services and protocols commonly used in hosting environments: web servers, database servers, mail servers, name servers
- Knowledgeable in the application of current and emerging network software and hardware technology and protocols
- Requires in-depth conceptual and practical knowledge in own job discipline and basic knowledge of related job disciplines
- Has knowledge of best practices and how own area integrates with others; is aware of the competition and the factors that differentiate them in the market