Spin is a micromobilty company that operates fleets of rental electric bikes and electric scooters in cities and campuses across the United States and Canada. Spin launched the first-ever stationless bike share program in the United States and was instrumental in crafting the world’s first mobility permitting system that is now used around the world. Spin is known for its city- and campus-friendly approach to micromobility, and was the first operator to deploy a number of technology innovations to improve rider compliance, such as sidewalk riding detection technology. Spin consists of a diverse team of experienced professionals from the public sector, private sectors, and the transportation advocacy world, all of whom are committed to fulfilling the company’s mission – to help create a world full of 15-minute cities.
For more information visit https://www.spin.app
About the Role
SPIN is seeking a an attorney with deep experience in personal injury litigation to handle our book of claims and litigation matters, manage outside counsel relationships, drive strategy to win cases, prepare and respond to pleadings, discovery and motions, file and oppose permit appeals, investigate claims, prepare witnesses, corral evidence, respond to FOIA requests and court orders, and quickly assess case risks. The mid- to senior-level Litigation Counsel role will report to SPIN’s Supervising Counsel for Litigation, Insurance and Risk.
This job is for you if you enjoy working remotely, having autonomy, being trusted by default, and working in a company and industry that is changing mobility for good. The ideal candidate will be obsessively organized, fluent in civil procedure, elements of causes of action, affirmative defenses, contract and tort litigation, legal research, and loves the idea of working on these issues in-house, without billable hours, to eliminate the billing fluff of insurance defense firm practices.
As a candidate, you need to know yourself, know that your communications skills (oral and written) are exceptional, that you can work well with business people, you have a positive attitude, are ethical beyond reproach, and care about fundamental fairness in both process and outcomes. You’ll be a top candidate if you have worked extensively on litigation, have taken more depositions than you can count, drafted motions and stacks of opinion letters and legal advice to clients. Your background should demonstrate an attention to detail and experience in a role involving access to highly sensitive and confidential information. If you color-code your post-it notes and sweep your email inbox into organized folders, you have skills we want.
As Litigation Counsel, You Will:
- Be responsible for a diverse range of litigation matters in personal injury, product liability and contract litigation practice areas and in numerous jurisdictions in the United States and Canada
- Manage Spin’s book of litigation, regulatory investigations and claims
- Provide advice and counsel to various internal teams to proactively address and resolve potential disputes while providing risk mitigation advice and supporting company objectives
- Work closely with outside litigation attorneys in the U.S. and Canada to coordinate filings, make court appearances, attend mediations, arbitrations and trials, and drive strategy to defend Spin from litigation with the least amount of outside professional services fees incurred
- Take what you learn from cases, claims and discovery, and feed it back to teams so that litigation does not occur in the future
- Devise processes and procedures to help support a rapidly-growing micro mobility operator seeking to be No. 1 in the world in both safety and market share.
- J.D. or foreign equivalent from an accredited law school, with a strong academic record. California Bar license preferred, but not required
- Licensed attorney with at least 5+ years of litigation experience. Having both plaintiff and defense experience could boost your profile
- Strong personal injury product liability experience are musts, and commercial litigation and regulatory experience are nice-to-haves
- Creative, entrepreneurial, quick thinking, pragmatic business oriented advice and ability to properly balance risks and business reward; ability to craft legal solutions in novel ways is essential. Unflappable candidates wanted
- Highly motivated, efficient, and organized; able to manage multiple projects at once in a fast-paced environment, both collaborating as a team and working independently. Cut to the issue, solve it in the most efficient manner
- Outstanding communication skills, both written and verbal and ability to advocate for a position while maintaining an open-minded approach, recognizing the Legal is primarily a support function, not often the driver of business strategy
- Interest in growing your legal experience and advancing your career as the Spin Legal team grows and matures
- Passion for sustainability, liberty of movement, fun self-directed transport for all
Benefits & Perks
- Opportunity to join a fast-growing startup and help shape and establish the company’s industry leadership
- Competitive health benefits
- Unlimited PTO for salaried roles
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Monthly cell phone bill stipend
- Wellness, Home Office & Internet perk for salaried roles
- A monthly Mental Health Day-Off for salaried roles
- WeWork Pass (eligible remote salaried FTE)
Spin is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment in an unlawful matter. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all individuals. Spin treats all employees and job applicants on the basis of merit, qualifications, and competence without regard to any qualified individuals' sex, race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender (including pregnancy, breastfeeding, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic characteristic or information, marital status, military and veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. Spin also considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable local, state, and federal law.
Spin is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities in its job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.