About the opportunity
Contentful is an innovative, high-growth, customer-focused company in a large and growing market. This is a unique opportunity to join a growing legal team. As Contentful’s Sr. Legal Counsel dedicated to Privacy with some support to IP and Product, you will advise and partner with our Engineering, Product, Security, Sales, Marketing, People, and other teams throughout the organization to manage legal risk and compliance with global privacy laws and regulations. On the privacy side, you will help develop and effectuate strategies and initiatives that focus on building a scalable privacy program. Success in this role requires a collaborative, services-oriented mentality, a willingness to embrace tactical details without missing strategic priorities, and skill in distilling complex legal concepts into simple, actionable business advice. This role will report directly to the VP & Deputy General Counsel GTM.
What to expect?
- Support Contentful’s operationalization of compliance with all regional and local privacy and data protection related laws – including, for example, CCPA/CPRA, GDPR, ePrivacy Directive, and other forthcoming privacy laws in the US and Europe
- Working with Engineering, Product, Legal, and other business partners, lead implementation of legal, business, and technical infrastructure requirements and controls to enable privacy compliance adopting the Privacy by Design and Privacy by Default process;
- Assist the team to record data protection impact assessments where required, and to identify and implement privacy controls and safeguards to mitigate risks.
- Provide a wide range of subject matter expertise and resource on privacy, security, and data protection
- Draft external privacy notices and disclosures, and manage/update internal policies and procedures to ensure compliance with global privacy laws
- Work with the commercial legal team globally to support and facilitate negotiation of product-specific terms with customers and suppliers, including security, data privacy, and compliance.
- Respond to customer and employee questions about their individual data rights and Contentful’s processing activities
- Support security incident response team in responding to potential data breaches
What you need to be successful?
- 7+ years of legal practice with direct experience providing Privacy related advice to SaaS and/or other technology companies, Product and IP experience desirable, but not required
- Deep experience with global privacy regulations
- Foundational knowledge of key security programs such as ISO and SOC2
- Experience interfacing with a Data Protection Officer
- CIPP certification
- A level of comfort in influencing and educating an organization on the importance of all elements of data protection and implementation of related initiatives, and capable of gaining respect of senior leaders in the organization
- Excellent judgment, analytical rigor, clear communication, and business pragmatism
- Solution-oriented approach in working with the business
- Is self-directed and takes ownership of practice areas with the ability to work independently
What's in it for you?
- Join an ambitious tech company reshaping the way people build digital product
- Full-time employees receive Stock Options for the opportunity to share in the success of our company
- Comprehensive health/dental/vision care package covering 100% of monthly premiums for employees
- We value Work-Life balance and You Time! A generous combination of a flexible time off policy, volunteer time off and paid holidays
- 16 weeks of paid parental leave (after 6 months of employment)
- Use your personal education budget to improve your skills and grow in your career.
- Enjoy a full range of virtual events, including workshops, guest speakers, and fun team activities, supporting learning and networking exchange beyond the usual work duties
- Share and navigate the excitement of a new workplace with your CFF (Contentful First Friend)
- Commuter benefits and monthly bill stipend
- Plus, Contentful socks! And other amazing swag as part of company events. Oh yeah!
Who are we?
Contentful is the leading content platform that powers digital experiences for over 30% of the Fortune 500 companies and thousands of global brands. Our platform unifies content in a single hub, structures it for use in any digital channel and integrates seamlessly with hundreds of tools through open APIs. It lets developers and content creators work in parallel, increasing team efficiency and happiness. Companies such as Shopify, Staples, Atlassian, Electronic Arts, Chanel, Roche, Vodafone use Contentful to build their mobile and web products, voice-controlled apps and more.
We’re growing rapidly and we have secured over $330 million in funding from top-tier partners such as Tiger Global, Sapphire Ventures, Salesforce Ventures, General Catalyst and Benchmark.
More than 750 people from 70 nations contribute their energy and creativity to Contentful, working from hubs in Berlin, San Francisco, Denver and distributed around the world.
Everyone is welcome here!
“Everyone is welcome here” is a celebrated component of our culture. At Contentful, we strive to create an inclusive environment that empowers our employees. We believe that our products and services benefit from our diverse backgrounds and experiences and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical [dis]ability, or length of time spent unemployed. We invite you to apply and join us!
If you need reasonable accommodations at any point during the application or interview process, please let your recruiting coordinator know.
Please be aware of scammers who may fraudulently allege to be from Contentful. These types of fraud can be carried out through copycat websites, fake email addresses claiming to be from our company, or social media. We do not ask for your personal information such as bank account numbers, identification numbers, etc through social media or chat-based apps, nor do we request or send money for the purchase of business equipment. If you suspect fraud, please report it to your local authorities, as well as reaching out to us at email@example.com with any information you may have.
By clicking “Apply for this job,” I acknowledge that I have read the “Contentful’s Candidate Privacy Notice”, and hereby consent to the collection, processing, use, and storage of my personal information as described therein.