Soracom was founded in 2015 by AWS veterans with a clear vision of creating a better world by democratizing IoT technology, connecting all people and things, and accelerating innovations. Today, we are one of the key players in the field, serving over 20,000 customers and connecting more than six million devices around the world. Powered by the speed and scalability of the cloud, we deliver worldwide connectivity for the Internet of Things (IoT) to empower the creators of today to build the innovation of tomorrow.
Soracom is a family of nearly 200 individuals working remotely across 5 continents with regional hubs in Tokyo, London, and Seattle. Soracom is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we take pride in the diversity of our employees, valuing the experience and expertise brought by people from different backgrounds. By welcoming diversity, our people are able to continuously discover creative new ideas, which has given us the ability to develop ground-breaking technologies. If you are also passionate about creating the type of transformative technology that will enable innovators to design and build a better world, come and join us!
This is an exceptional opportunity to join a rapidly growing IoT startup and play a highly important role in its global expansion. Our group has its headquarters in Japan, though you will mainly be involved in the global side of the business outside Japan, working closely with different small teams internally.
As a global operation, we constantly draft, review, and negotiate myriad contracts across diverse regions. This requires substantial experience with and knowledge of a broad spectrum of applicable laws, an affinity for minutiae, and an innate ability to communicate clearly and concisely. Depending on your interests, you might also be involved in a range of legal research and compliance management activities, including cooperating with HR in developing internal policies that address an array of regulations across various jurisdictions.
For this role, you will work closely with a very small legal team, where you will have full exposure to a range of commercial legal tasks. We encourage remote work, so you can work from anywhere in Japan.
Who You Are
You are passionate about technology and thrilled to join a fast-growing startup where you can be hands-on. You feel a sense of exhilaration when faced with new challenges but have the endurance to grind through repetitive tasks. You have a strong desire to expand outside your own comfort zone in order to solve novel issues in a multitude of markets. But most of all, you are never complacent and always strive to improve both yourself and the processes with which you work.
- Experience in contract reviewing and drafting in English (3+ years)
- Excellent skills in coordinating with outside counsels
- Native level English
- Keen attention to detail and a very high standard for accuracy
- Strong commercial outlook and flexible, pragmatic approach to legal practice
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced and constantly changing environment
- Ability to work in a diverse, multicultural environment
Preferred Experience and Skills
- Legal Qualification – Qualified UK solicitor, US attorney or Japanese Bengoshi with 3+ years either in-house or in private practice (will consider qualified lawyers from other jurisdictions)
- Experience in regulatory compliance
- Business level Japanese
- Work experience in the telecommunications industry
- Aware of IT and technology trends
- Experience working in a startup-like environment
Flexible working hours : 8 hours per day between 5am to 10pm (with 1 hour break)
Salary : Annual salary system with a chance of salary increase
Vacation : Sat, Sun and public holidays, Annual paid vacation