ABOUT KHAN ACADEMY
Khan Academy is a nonprofit with the mission to deliver a free, world-class education to anyone, anywhere. Our proven learning platform offers free, high-quality supplemental learning content and practice that cover Pre-K – 12th grade and early college core academic subjects, focusing on math and science. We have over 155 million registered learners globally and are committed to improving learning outcomes for students worldwide, focusing on learners in historically under-resourced communities.
Our students, teachers, and parents come from all walks of life, and so do we. Our team includes people from academia, traditional/non-traditional education, big tech companies, and tiny startups. We hire great people from diverse backgrounds and experiences because it makes our company stronger. We value diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging as necessary to achieve our mission and impact the communities we serve. We know that transforming education starts in-house with learning about ourselves and our colleagues. We strive to be world-class in investing in our people and commit to developing you as a professional.
THE LEGAL TEAM
- We're a small and mighty team passionate about the intersection of Education Tech (EdTech), responsible tech for good, privacy, and regulations – and invite you to join us as a fifth team member
- We joined Khan Academy for the same reason that many of our teammates did: to advance our mission, centered on helping our learners and their families, tutors, teachers, and schools improve learning outcomes
- Fundamentally, we care about why and how things get done, and not that they simply get done
- We geek out on privacy (and student data privacy specifically) and hope you will too
- We're looking for a teammate that will listen with curiosity, adopt an agile mindset, and help us improve our processes for immediate results as well as long term solutions
This teammate will provide broad-based transaction support including support for school district sales and marketing programs. You will work with other members of our legal team on issues of diverse scope, and collaborate with business partners such as the District Sales and Marketing teams. You will report to our Associate General Counsel.
- Support our District Sales team, including preparation, review and negotiation of school contracts, including Data Processing Agreements (DPAs)
- Facilitate improvements to our Sales process to promote efficiency and scalability
- Address legal and compliance aspects of RFP submissions
- Contribute to foundational improvements, including development of templates, negotiation playbooks, contract guidance, and training materials
- Identify use cases that could benefit from repeatable processes, partner with relevant individuals to co-create and document these processes, and implement these processes
- Act as the business partner to one or more functional teams within Khan Academy
- Review and negotiate commercial agreements and vendor agreements, both our paper and third party paper contracts
- Handle other matters as need arises
WHAT YOU BRING
- Experience as a practicing lawyer with a JD from a U.S. accredited law school
- An active membership in good standing of at least one state bar
- 4-6 years of legal experience, preferably in-house experience at a Software as a Service (SaaS), EdTech, or other tech organization
- Experience reviewing, negotiating, and advising on SaaS agreements (on company paper as well as customer paper), with attention to detail, consistency and efficiency
- Some experience researching and analyzing regulatory compliance matters and related contractual commitments
- Strong business judgment by analyzing and communicating business and legal risks, and developing practical solutions to manage risk
- Experience with building strong relationships and working with teams across a company
- Ability to manage expectations and make decisions about how to prioritize the needs of various stakeholders
- Commitment to develop and maintain a deep understanding of student data privacy regulations (FERPA, COPPA and similar state laws) that impact our operations
- Certification in privacy or data security (CIPP or similar) is preferred but not required.
THE INTERVIEW PROCESS
Here’s more information on what to expect from the interview process. We will let you know after every step whether or not you’ll be moving forward.
- The team will review your resume
- Our Recruiter will hop on the phone with you for 15-30 minutes to learn more about your background and ask, “Why Khan Academy?”
- You’ll engage in a conversation with our Associate General Counsel
- You’ll provide feedback to a Google document
- You’ll virtually meet the Legal team for a group interview
- You’ll join the head of District Sales and the head of Security for a virtual interview
- The team will reviews all feedback
- Our Associate General Counsel will chat with your references
- We'll make a final decision and notify you
PERKS AND BENEFITS
We may be a non-profit, but we reward our talented team extremely well!
- Competitive salaries
- Ample paid time off as needed – your well-being is a priority
- Remote-first culture – that caters to your time zone, with open flexibility as needed, at times
- Generous parental leave
- An exceptional team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to do your best
- The chance to put your talents towards a deeply meaningful mission and the opportunity to work on high-impact products that are already defining the future of education
- Opportunities to connect through affinity, ally, and social groups
- And we offer all those other typical benefits as well: 401(k) + 4% matching & comprehensive insurance, including medical, dental, vision, and life
At Khan Academy we are committed to fair and equitable compensation practices, the well-being of our employees, and our Khan community. This belief is why we have built out a robust Total Rewards package that includes competitive base salaries, and extensive benefits and perks to support physical, mental, and financial well-being.
The target salary range for this position is $143,200 – $179,000 USD. The pay range for this position is a general guideline only. The salary offered will depend on internal pay equity and the candidate’s relevant skills, experience, qualifications, and job market data. Exceptional performers in this role who make an outsized contribution can make well in excess of this range. Additional incentives are provided as part of the complete total rewards package in addition to comprehensive medical and other benefits.
MORE ABOUT US
- Sal’s TED talk from 2011
- Sal’s TED talk from 2015
- Sal’s TED talk from 2023
- Our team: http://www.khanacademy.org/about/the-team
OUR COMPANY VALUES
Live & breathe learners
We deeply understand and empathize with our users. We leverage user insights, research, and experience to build content, products, services, and experiences that our users trust and love. Our success is defined by the success of our learners and educators.
Take a stand
As a company, we have conviction in our aspirational point of view of how education will evolve. The work we do is in service to moving towards that point of view. However, we also listen, learn and flex in the face of new data, and commit to evolving this point of view as the industry and our users evolve.
Embrace diverse perspectives
We are a diverse community. We seek out and embrace a diversity of voices, perspectives and life experiences leading to stronger, more inclusive teams and better outcomes. As individuals, we are committed to bringing up tough topics and leaning into different points of view with curiosity. We actively listen, learn and collaborate to gain a shared understanding. When a decision is made, we commit to moving forward as a united team.
Work responsibly and sustainably
We understand that achieving our audacious mission is a marathon, so we set realistic timelines and we focus on delivery that also links to the bigger picture. As a non-profit, we are supported by the generosity of donors as well as strategic partners, and understand our responsibility to our finite resources. We spend every dollar as though it were our own. We are responsible for the impact we have on the world and to each other. We ensure our team and company stay healthy and financially sustainable.
Bring out the joy
We are committed to making learning a joyful process. This informs what we build for our users and the culture we co-create with our teammates, partners and donors.
Cultivate learning mindset
We believe in the power of growth for learners and for ourselves. We constantly learn and teach to improve our offerings, ourselves, and our organization. We learn from our mistakes and aren’t afraid to fail. We don't let past failures or successes stop us from taking future bold action and achieving our goals.
We insist on high standards and deliver delightful, effective end-to-end experiences that our users can rely on. We choose to focus on fewer things — each of which aligns to our ambitious vision — so we can deliver high-quality experiences that accelerate positive measurable learning with our strategic partners.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. We value diversity, equity, and inclusion, and we encourage candidates from historically underrepresented groups to apply.