Changing the way people think about waste.
At Biffa, we love working with waste. Whether we’re turning it into sustainable power, finding new ways to recycle it or simply keeping it off the streets, we believe every day is an opportunity to improve the lives of millions. It’s a view that’s shared by our 10,000+ people around the country, who trust us to provide them with a career that’s always rewarding, often challenging, but never dull. And it’s why we’re the UK’s No. 1 choice for business waste management
Help us make a difference as a Graduate Trainee Operations Manager.
To develop the skills and experience in order to be appointed as an Operations or Business Manager. As an Operations Graduate you will understand the role of the business manager and responsibilities that ensure the operation of the staff and resources employed on the Contract are fulfilled to the satisfaction of both the Client and the Company whilst remaining within the constraints of financial targets and Company procedures.
A quick look at the opportunity
The Operations Graduate will undertake a defined programme of training and experience gathering that will on successful conclusion lead to appointment as an Operations or Business Manager.
The programme will include the following elements.
- People Management – including employment legislation, training, policies, absence management, communication, engagement, performance management.
- Safety Management – including health and safety legislation, training, policies, safe systems of work, safety investigations, communication, engagement, performance management.
- Finance – budget setting, invoicing, purchase ordering, trend analysis, forecasting, contract performance and penalties.
- Logistics – vehicle resource and maintenance.
- Operations – trend analysis & Key Performance Indicators, productivity review, service delivery standards.
- Contract & Client Management – understanding the contract between Biffa and client, risk and reward, contract penalties.
Further qualifications – we will support in your attainment of
- International Certificate of Professional Competence ( Haulage & Logistics)
- Certificate vof Technical Competence (Waste Management )
- Institute of Safety and Health Managers certificate
Why it’s an opportunity not to be wasted.
- Ensuring all budgets are achieved and weekly Key Performance Indicators are met highlighting any variances and action plans to redress.
- Ensuring that all Company policies and procedures and legal obligations are adhered to and understood by all contract staff.
- Continually monitoring and improving performance standards and ensure that all contracted service levels are met to the satisfaction of the Client
- Managing all contract staff through use of management team, supervisors and worker committees etc. to ensure that all Company procedures are followed, staff turnover is controlled, vacancies are filled promptly and unauthorised absence is kept to a minimum.
- Liaising with workshop management reviewing the KPIs to ensure optimum vehicle uptime and availability.
- Management of service changes and subsequent smooth running of the Contract to the Client’s satisfaction.
- Ensuring that proposals for contract improvements, route optimisation, staffing structures etc., are directed through the appropriate channels, cost / benefit analyses are produced for the Board & that they run to budget & timescale on implementation.
- Responsible for internal and external reporting of contract KPIs such as performance, monthly financial reports, weekly KPIs etc.
Here’s what we require:
- Degree level education
- Some business experience or placement within a commercial organisation
- Well-developed IT skills including MS Excel (in particular), Word & PowerPoint
- Understanding of the requirements of working within a time critical service
- Ability to communicate effectively to a variety of people, with well-developed customer facing skills
- Highly organised with a high level of attention to detail
- Confidentiality and absolute discretion is paramount to this role
- Able to produce high quality written correspondence and reports
- Well-developed inter-personal skills
- Proactive work ethic with ability to manage own workload and timelines
- Articulate, confident and assertive
- Analytical and able to quickly assess issues and recommend and/or implement solutions
- Robust and resilient, able to absorb pressure and respond positively
- Experience of building and maintaining customer relationships
- The ability to communicate with conviction, plan with precision and, most importantly, play well with others
And here’s why you’ll love it at Biffa.
- Competitive salary
- Ongoing career development, training and coaching – because if you don’t grow, we don’t grow.
- Generous pension scheme.
- Medical and dental scheme.
- Retail and leisure discounts.
- Holiday and travel discounts.
- Bike to work scheme
Dedicated to diversity.
At Biffa we believe different ideas, perspective and backgrounds are key to developing a creative working environment that delivers real results. It’s why you’ll find us championing diversity and equality at every turn.