Global Conflicts Lawyer- Permanent
Dentons is currently recruiting for a Global Conflicts Lawyer who will be responsible for assisting with the review, identification and resolution of potential conflicts issues with respect to clients, matters, and new business under applicable rules of professional responsibility and the Firm’s global policies. The role will work closely with members across the Firm’s Global Business Acceptance Department.
Why Dentons is different
The legal profession is changing rapidly and Dentons is leading the way in advancing change for the benefit of clients. We are driven to challenge the status quo, delivering consistent and uncompromising quality and value to our clients in new and innovative ways. With over 20,000 individuals in more than 179 offices the opportunity is huge.
Dentons continues to receive external awards and recognition, including for our continued international expansion over the last 12 months; for ground-breaking innovation through the development of Nextlaw Labs and Nextlaw Global Referral Network; and for success in advising clients across multiple regions. Dentons is also a leader on the Acritas Global Elite Brand Index and a BTI Client Service 30 Award winner.
- Work with Global Head of Conflicts, Global Business Acceptance Manager and others in department leadership to assist with conflict checking new clients and matters across a range of different jurisdictions.
- Utilize available internal and external databases and other such resources to supplement analysis and assist with decision making
- Communicate with Partners, and other lawyers and professionals to follow up on and address all potential conflicts of interest
- Prepare on as needed basis waiver/consent language, engagement letters or other such documentation for Partner review and/or submission to clients
- Proactively communicate with department leadership on complex conflicts questions and other compliance issues
- Support on general conflict issues that may arise in any jurisdiction
- Assisting with information barriers and document security management as needed
- Assist with training firm Legal Administrative Assistants, lawyers and business services staff in understanding the firm’s new matter intake, conflicts, Anti Money Laundering, and other compliance procedures
- Undertake various related special projects as required
- Involved in leading business clearances across Dentons offices
- Other duties as may be assigned to fully meet the requirements of the position
- Review and provide thorough and timely analysis of all new business in order to identify ethical and business conflicts of interest
- Maintain thorough, accurate and current records of all conflicts resolutions in order to ensure integrity of the database and assist in identification and clearing of future conflicts of interest and general matter management.
- Business international level of English – both written and oral;
- Highly collaborative and able to work in a global environment, accommodating the different time zones.
- Particularly strong written communication skills;
- Particularly strong organizational skills and the ability to manage numerous requests;
- Significant experience and a proven track record in/as:
You will possess:
- Knowledge of Intapp conflict checking, ethical wall and business intake software a plus.
- Be a team player, able to work effectively at all levels of an organization with the ability to influence others to move toward consensus
- Understanding and experience of business continuity requirements and implementations
- Drive out decisions and recommendations;
- Able to demonstrate excellent customer/client facing skills;
- Has commercial awareness and understands the business value required from IT investments;
- Methodical approach to work with a strong focus on accuracy, attention to details, consistency and quality.
- Able to work under pressure to tight project deadlines and can adapt to differing demands, prioritizing tasks where appropriate and ensuring complete ‘follow through’ on operational issues;
- Demonstrated ability to make recommendations to effectively resolve problems or issues by using judgment that is consistent with standards, practices, policies, procedures, regulation or government law
- Strong legal research skills
- Can carry out all responsibilities in a way that supports the practices values and promotes its equal opportunities and diversity principles.
- Adept in responding to challenges and issues as they arise;
- Able to thrive working under pressure, and be able to multi-task;
- Extensive experience of working with layers of engagement and approval;
- Impeccable attention to detail and ability to work with a wide variety of people and projects in a collective and collaborative manner.
- Stay current with recent research and thinking on ethics and conflicts best practices and rules across jurisdictions in which the firm has offices. Maintain a sophisticated, relevant base of knowledge in these areas
- Qualified lawyer, minimum 3 years of practice experience
- Prior experience working with law firms or corporate legal departments
- Independent, pro-active way of working.
- Able to effectively negotiate with and influence colleagues and others to achieve a successful outcome;
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills; can clearly explain and present problems and issues to others and contribute to their resolution;
- Can demonstrate initiative and the ability to be proactive, anticipating needs;
- Able to make decisions and remain calm while under pressure
- Essential Qualifications / Experience: Qualified lawyer, minimum 3 years of practice experience, Prior experience working with law firms or corporate legal departments
Diversity & Inclusion
Essential to our success as a global law firm is our ability to attract and retain the best talent from a diverse range of backgrounds. We want a work environment where everyone can reach their potential and we have an inclusive culture which respects individual differences.
We undertake and support a number of internal and external initiatives aimed at increasing diversity within the profession and we encourage all our partners and staff to get involved.
Dentons is committed to providing equal opportunities for all.
Reward and Recognition
Remuneration and benefits package will reflect the successful candidates experience and country where hired.