protonmail Remote (Europe), Prague, Skopje, Vilnius, London, Barcelona;, Switzerland Full-time 2022-07-27
A better internet, where privacy is the default, is possible. Building this better internet might seem daunting or even unthinkable, but at Proton, this is what we do every day.
Proton was founded in 2014 by a group of scientists who met at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN). Our first product, Proton Mail, is now the world’s largest encrypted email service. Subsequent Proton products, such as Proton VPN, Proton Calendar, and Proton Drive, give our users full control over how and with whom their data is shared.
Today, Proton makes privacy universally accessible. Journalists from outlets like The Guardian and The New York Times, some of the world’s largest organizations, and people in more than 180 countries have signed up for over 70 million accounts. Our diverse and dynamic team is made up of more than 400 members representing over 40 different nationalities. While we are based in Geneva, Switzerland, we have offices in Zurich, Prague, London, Vilnius, Skopje, Taipei, and many more employees working remotely around the world.
Join one of Europe’s fastest-growing companies to help us solve challenging problems and build new products that will reach hundreds of millions of people. We want to create more than just one of the world’s most impactful tech companies; we want to create a new internet that serves the interests of all people. We need you, your voice, your ideas, and your ambition to make it happen.
Purpose of the role
Proton’s Core department owns: customer experiences that cut across all Proton products; services and APIs that power both our end-to-end experiences and those built by other product teams; foundational SDKs for networking and cryptography; the Proton Design System, reusable UX components that make the Proton ecosystem work and feel consistent. We are a multi-platform o that delivers across Android, iOS, Web, so our reach is wide and our impact is as large as the whole Proton customers base.
Engineering Managers in Proton lead teams through invention, design, estimation, delivery, operation. Your purpose is to make your team as independent as possible to the point the team can execute autonomously so that they are empowered and accountable for the their tech decisions. A large part of your raison d’être is driving along with Product the roadmap of your domain of ownership, connecting with customers and being both proactive and reactive to their needs. You put your team and yourself in the right position to incrementally raise the quality of what you own, and only data drives your progress.
What you will do
As an Engineering Manager in Core you are expected to:
- have solid foundations in the tech stack used by your team and grow your knowledge with them as the tech landscape changes
- be customer focused: both internal and external customers are your obsession and you are always out there looking for inputs and feedback
- be operational at heart: a feature, to be complete, must also be measurable and you push hard to get things monitored as this is one of your ways to stay close to your customers
- be a product person: you are the bridge between Product Owners and your engineering team, sometimes you are the product owner too
- master agile practices: being customer obsessed means being able to address needs in a timely manner, so you drive your team through great backlog cleanliness, grooming, estimation, day to day burn-down measurement, retrospectives and you follow up with retro-actions
- be empathetic with your team and strive to empower them
- take superb care of your team funnelling the organisational culture into everyday life
- provide clear OKRs to team members
- grow team members so they manage themselves and converge on technical decisions quickly and solidly
- shield the team from the outside so they can carry out their job undisturbed
- take active part in recruiting new engineers for both your team and others
- be data-driven: you measure and improve, quarter on quarter