We are looking for an Engineering Manager to lead a scrum team of Product engineers. The engineering manager will oversee the engineering delivery, manage highly skilled engineering staff, and ensure company objectives and goals are met using the metrics.
This is an ideal opportunity for a leader to work in a high velocity, high impact environment and cultivate a growing team of bright, passionate engineers. We’re looking for compassionate leaders who believe in leadership through service, by example, and with empathy.
Our growing team is composed of over 60 engineers with diverse backgrounds in mobile, web, backend and machine learning. You will be working with individuals who are very passionate about their craft and share their opinions in healthy debate. Our team includes engineers located in the New York City area, across the US and around the world so this role can be worked from anywhere in the US!
You’re a good fit if
- You are proficient in Java Script/Java technologies.
- You have experience in building and managing modern software technology stack that is cloud enabled, and uses test automation and continuous integration & delivery.
- You built and deployed highly available, and highly scalable software.
- You have a strong Engineering foundation and a good grasp of coding best-practices that you can mentor engineers on your team, and across the organization.
- You have 5+ years experience working as a software engineer , and at least 1+ year worked as a software lead/software manager.
- You prefer leading small teams (6-10 engineers) of seniority
- You have strong analytical and problem solving skills
- You love cultivating strong relationships with stakeholders which will include Product Managers as well as Engineering Managers on other teams
- You advocate for bi-directional feedback from both your direct reports and your manager
- You have a strong sense of ownership and take pride in the things you build
- You can drive change by winning hearts and minds rather than using your “Manager card”
- You enjoy learning new things, reading documentation, and see yourself as a self-starter.
- You are passionate and want to keep coding, documenting, pair-program, and reviewing PRs
Your day to day will look like
- You will provide support, feedback, and career development to your direct reports through consistent 1:1’s, coaching, and pair-programming. You will ensure your reports are aligned with Engineering and Product initiatives and remove blockers if necessary.
- You will work with the team and the rest of the engineering department to create the Product Roadmap for our Platform.
- You will ensure product features are defined, user stories are refined, acceptance criteria defined before engineering teams are able to implement.
- You will partner with scrum master to facilitate the agile ceremonies (standups, sprint kickoffs, refinements, retros, etc.) for the scrum team.
- You will provide a good pulse and report on the execution and overall health of your scrum team to your manager with respect to deliverable and individual team members performance using agile metrics.
- You will own or co-own some of the Engineering department OKRs.
- You will help communicate and facilitate organizational and procedural changes as they come.
- You will work with your peer Engineering Managers to drive cultural change towards developer ownership
- You will be spending about 40%-60% of your time hands-on, working alongside with your engineering team.
- You will recruit talent, interview new candidates, hire talented engineering, and mentor the engineering staff
OUR TECH STACK
- Docker & K8S,
- Google Cloud, AWS
- Cloud SQL technologies
- Observability & Alerting: Prometheus, Grafana, DataDog, Sentry, Pagerduty
- Mongo, Postgres, Redis
- Hapijs, @hapi/code, @hapi/lab
- React, Vue.js,
- Redux, VueX
- Jest for unit testing
- Native iOS
- Native Android
We strive for service oriented, and loosely coupled architecture. We try to adhere to open source development style/standards. We promote engineering culture, and engineering lead decision making for determining the right tools, process improvements, and design discussions. We believe in empowering engineering teams, and having independent teams to build the next generation of digital healthcare solutions.
At Pager, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.