Muck Rack is the leading SaaS platform for public relations and communications professionals. Our mission is to enable organizations to build trust, tell their stories and demonstrate the unique value of earned media. Muck Rack’s Public Relations Management (PRM) platform enables PR teams to work together to find the right journalists for their stories, send customized pitches, build meaningful relationships with the media, monitor news, and quantify their impact.
Self-funded, globally distributed, and growing quickly, Muck Rack has received several awards for its unparalleled culture and product from organizations like Crains, G2, and BuiltIn. We value resilience, transparency, ownership, & customer devotion and infuse these values into everything we do.
Growing from 200 to 300+ employees, we are hiring for our first Director of People Operations to join our 6-person People team. Reporting to the VP of People, you will own the HR and People Operations functions of our department.
As Director of People Operations, your mission will be to serve as the primary HRBP across our SaaS organization, to ensure our employees are set up for success and professional growth, and to deliver on a best-in-class employee experience. You should be excited to take over and scale functioning processes and People Ops contributors as we grow, with an eye for talent retention and building upon Muck Rack’s distributed culture.
What you’ll do:
- Oversee and grow the team that handles HR, performance and engagement, employee relations, payroll & benefits, culture, L&D, and DEI.
- Own the full employee lifecycle, from onboarding though offboarding, ensuring employee engagement and growth; you’ll focus on continuously improving the employee/workplace experience & productivity and on developing, motivating, and retaining Muck Rack’s talent.
- Evolve and develop scalable policies, programs, and processes that enhance our workplace and business performance via our people.
- Oversee all HR systems and implementation of new tools/systems; our HR tech stack currently includes Justworks, Lattice, Benepass, TripActions, and several EoRs.
- Maintain all HR data/records and manage people-related reporting; you’ll track and analyze HR metrics related to engagement, diversity and inclusion, retention, etc.
- Manage mandatory reporting (EEO) and state-by-state/international compliance.
- In partnership with VP People & CFO, manage and continually improve benefits offerings.
How success will be measured in this role:
- Works as strategic partner to leadership on development of HR/People Operations team by hiring and developing a team of A players in the first 12 months.
- Scales and improves several aspects of employee experience.
- Optimizes onboarding to decrease ramp time and increase employee performance.
- Effectively executes on performance/comp review cycles.
- Builds and executes comprehensive surveying strategy; proposes and implements recommendations to improve retention, employee experience and engagement.
- Builds and socializes career paths/ladders across the organization.
- Identifies potential future issues and contingency plans to mitigate against them.
- Contributes to internal process optimizations.
If the details below describe you, you could be a great fit for this role:
- Experience as lead People Ops/HRBP with strong understanding of core Human Resource procedures, principles and concepts.
- 3-5 yrs of people management experience.
- Exposure to a globally distributed team from an HR/People ops perspective, including multi-state and international compliance.
- Experience developing growth and career paths.
- Experience overseeing or closely involved with payroll and benefits renewal and administration.
- Track record of resolving complicated employee issues and developing people policies (worked as an HRBP, People Partner, Senior HR Manager/Generalist).
- History of performance management process execution and optimization.
- Strong project management skill, including goal setting, milestones, contingency planning, etc.
- Startup experience in a high growth org (200 EE+) (SaaS preferred).
- Exceptional written and verbal communication, with strong emotional intelligence, rapport building, and de-escalation skills.
- Strong excel/data analysis skills.
Below you'll find an outline of the interview plan for our Director of People role. Please note that this is what we expect the process to look like; we may ask you for supplemental information or require an additional step before making a final decision.
- 30 min interview with a member of our Talent Team
- A 1 hour zoom interview with the hiring manager
- Panel interviews with several members of the hiring team
- Take home assessment and review with hiring manager
- Final interview with CEO
- References calls & a background check
The starting salary for this role is between $147,000 – $170,000+, depending on skills and experience with room for negotiation. We take a geo-neutral approach to compensation within the US, meaning that we pay based on job function and level, not location. For all other countries, we have competitive pay bands based on market standards.
Individual compensation decisions are based on a number of factors, including experience level, skillset, and balancing internal equity relative to peers at the company. We expect the majority of the candidates who are offered roles at our company to fall healthily throughout the range based on these factors. We recognize that the person we hire may be less experienced (or more senior) than this job description as posted. If that ends up being the case, the updated salary range will be communicated with you as a candidate.
*These benefits are specific to US-based employees. In some, but not all, cases, we are able to offer equivalent benefits to employees located outside of the United States.
We deliberately encourage individuals from all backgrounds, including race, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability status, and from all parts of the United States and Canada to apply for positions. We are an equal opportunity employer and we're committed to a fair and consistent interview process and employer experience.
Why Muck Rack?
Remote Work, Forever. We’re a fully distributed team and have pledged to remain that way forever. We offer employees a full home office setup, phone & internet reimbursement, and a monthly coworking membership. We build culture through virtual and in-person team bonding opportunities including team lunches, friendly competitions, and celebratory events!
Transparent Compensation. We offer competitive geo-neutral pay in the U.S. and review compensation at least once annually to ensure internal equity and alignment with the external market. Depending on the role, we offer either a standardized bonus program or attainable commission structure and an opportunity to earn equity in the company. All employees are eligible for our 401(k) plan* with employer contributions.
Health & Wellness*. Muck Rack provides comprehensive health, dental, vision, and disability insurance for employees and their families. We offer a select plan with 100% premium coverage for individuals and 70% premium coverage for dependents, as well as a range of other plans. Our team also has access to OneMedical, 24/7 Virtual Care, an Employee Assistance Program, and a Flexible Spending Account. Team members can access Headspace for free and take advantage of a discounted Classpass membership.
PTO and Family Benefits. Our team enjoys 4+ weeks of off-the-grid PTO, plus paid sick/mental health days, summer Fridays, and 10+ paid holidays. In order to combat Zoom fatigue and allow for deep work without interruption, we have implemented “No Internal Meeting Fridays” year round. We also provide up to 16 weeks of fully paid parental leave.
Personal & Professional Development. We grow talent by creating internal pathways for advancement and promotion. Muck Rack conducts bi-annual performance reviews, hosts team-wide workshops, and offers management training and leadership training opportunities. We also provide unlimited subscriptions to L&D platforms including Coursera & O’Reilly, as well as 2 additional days of PTO to dedicate to learning and development.
Culture of Inclusion. We know that diverse perspectives breed innovation and help us better serve our customers. We are committed to ensuring employees feel their identities are valued and that people of all backgrounds and points of view are treated equitably.
Customer-First. Self-funded means we have the freedom to be nimble, highly collaborative and innovative, building forward-thinking products that enable 3,000+ companies around the world to build trust, tell their stories and demonstrate the unique value of earned media.
*These benefits are specific to US-based employees. In some, but not all, cases we are able to offer equivalent benefits to employees located outside of the United States.