Alma is on a mission to simplify access to high-quality, affordable mental health care. We do this by making it easy and financially rewarding for therapists to accept insurance and offer in-network care. When a provider joins Alma, they gain access to a suite of tools that not only help them better run their business, but also grow it sustainably and develop as a provider. Alma is available in all 50 states, with over 19,000 therapists in our growing network. Anyone looking for a therapist can browse Alma’s free directory. Alma has raised $220.5M in funding from Insight Partners, Optum Ventures, Tusk Venture Partners, Primary Venture Partners, First Round Capital, Sound Ventures, BoxGroup, Cigna Ventures, and Rainfall Ventures. Alma was also named one of Inc’s Best Workplaces in 2022.
Director of Engineering, Product
We’re looking for an Engineering Director to oversee our Carefinding and Internal Tools teams; and help drive Alma’s technology strategy. As a member of the Engineering leadership team and reporting to the CTO, this person will lead engineering efforts for all Alma’s applications and will be responsible for helping to build scalable products, teams, and processes.
The Engineering Director will lead a team of Engineering Managers and help guide them in the growth of their teams while helping standardize best practices across the organization. This role will also partner closely with the Senior Director of Product and our Head of Design to define and implement a progressive product strategy that propels Alma to national expansion.
The ideal candidate must have technical and operational chops working across teams to achieve objectives and execute projects, especially as the organization considers new products and categories.
What you’ll do:
- Grow and develop an incredible team of hardworking and motivated Engineers and Engineering Managers who have high expectations around individual ownership and impact.
- Set goals and direction for the team, anticipating strategic and company scaling challenges via thoughtful long-term planning.
- Partner with product managers, designers, and other stakeholders to ensure your team is prioritizing and delivering value to Alma members.
- Engage and lead in the end-to-end recruiting process, hiring, and onboarding engineering talent to grow and scale the team.
- Collaborate with the Product/Engineering Team to help craft technical and product strategy.
- Work with the Engineering and Product Leadership teams to continually evolve Alma’s culture to align with the needs of the business.
Who you are:
- You have 7-10 years of engineering experience in both frontend and backend domains, with 5+ years of combined tech leadership and people management.
- You’ve previously led and/or managed a team of 3 or more Engineering Managers or Team Leads.
- You have a demonstrable history of managing product engineering teams in engineering orgs over 100 engineers; including working with members of the team to define an architectural vision, and supporting change management as the team evolves various systems and introduces new technologies.
- You are a coach, a mentor, and an advocate to individual contributors of different seniority levels and expertise.
- As necessary, you influence or own architecture decisions, help troubleshoot tricky technical issues, and ensure timely response to production incidents.
- You possess a clear and engaging communication style with a track record of building positive relationships across a broad diverse organization.
- You can comfortably communicate technical details with people outside of engineering.
- You have a demonstrable history of shipping user-facing products.
- You feel a passion for Alma's mission – to improve the experience of therapy for providers and their clients, and simplify access to care.
- We’re a remote-first company
- Health insurance plans through Cigna (medical and dental) and MetLife (vision), including FSA & HSA plans
- 401k plan (Roth and traditional)
- Free Alma platform access
- Monthly therapy and wellness stipends
- Monthly co-working space membership stipend
- Monthly work-from-home stipend to power your wifi, lunches, coffee, etc
- Pet discount program through United Pet Care
- Financial perks and rewards through BenefitHub
- Free EAP access through LifeWorks
- One-time home office stipend to set up your home office
- Comprehensive parental leave plans
- 9 paid holidays, 1 Alma Mental Health Day, and 1 Alma Volunteering Day
- Flexible PTO
Salary Band: $230,000 – $255,000
Alma’s compensation philosophy is driven by our company value of building equity. To best ensure pay equity, we typically bring in new hires near the middle of our listed salary bands and we do not negotiate our compensation (i.e. all people hired at the same level & role are brought in at the same salary, equity, and benefits). The recruiter you work with can provide more details on our philosophy.
All Alma jobs are listed on our careers page. We do not use outside applications or automated text messaging in our recruiting process. We will not ask for any sensitive financial or identification information throughout the recruiting process. Any communication during the recruitment process, including interview requests or job offers, will come directly from a recruiting team member with a helloalma.com email address.