Director of Architecture (Technology)
Organization: ATB Financial
Team: | ATB Ventures
Fulltime : Calgary / Remote
Job Number: REQ3454
Paygrade: N-Distinguished (IC)
Positions Available: 1
ATB Ventures: Putting the future in the hands of our customers
An extension of ATB Financial, ATB Ventures was started back in 2018, knowing that the convergence of data with powerful emerging technologies such as blockchain, artificial intelligence, and machine learning would pave the way for major disruption and value creation that exceeded the digital transformation of the past 20 years.
Today, ATB Ventures is a team of engineers, data scientists, product managers, and business operators who having been building emerging solutions from scratch – including Open ATB> Open AI, Open Data, API Sandbox, Oliu (Self-Sovereign Digital ID platform), Proof (Digital credential wallet) and more.
After 2 years of many great accomplishments and interesting challenges, we’re looking for an experienced and driven Director Of Architecture to join our team and help shape the future of ATB Ventures.
About the role | What we are looking for…
ATB Ventures is looking for a Director of Architecture to join our Innovation team and lead the charge in creating a visionary technology architecture roadmap and strategy that aligns business needs with technologies. In this role, you will leverage leading edge technologies and enable our talented team of engineers to bring our ideas to life. You wear many hats with ease and continuously draw on both the breadth and depth of your expertise to experiment and develop meaningful solutions for the customers of tomorrow.
As the leader of a growing team of technologists, you will have the opportunity to work alongside high performing individuals and ultimately oversee the architectural, infrastructure and DevOps decisions behind product development. You will be guiding and influencing the architect of the products we build while leveraging your understanding of deep tech, microservice architectures, serverless code, cloud-native software, and other cutting edge technologies.
Reporting to the Head of Technology, this role is a critical member of the technology leadership team. Finding an individual who can support the cadence of rapid growth of our team and product portfolio is key to this role’s success.
Key competencies | What competencies we need in an ideal candidate…
Strategic and systems thinking: You are someone who can design and architect scalable systems with the expertise to support growth products. Using your breadth of experience, your ability to recognize architectural patterns and filter important factors from negligible details, you recommend solutions that consider technical fit as well as business impact.
Customer-focused approach to solutions: You possess the ability to distill and abstract complex concepts into simple designs, easily understandable by engineers and software developers.
Growth and performance-oriented: You are someone who is focused on adding value, achieving revenue growth, and growing the impact of your products. You don’t shy away from taking charge to get things done.
Summary of key responsibilities | What you will be responsible for day-to-day…
- Lead, coach, guide and inspire the Ventures technology team on the path to building innovative, high quality products.
- Provide direct leadership to a team responsible for areas of solutions architecture, security architecture, DevOps and infrastructure support.
- Working with a diverse team of technologists, provide architecture blueprints and roadmaps to support the development of Ventures initiatives.
- Define the system and software architecture principles, adhering to modern architecture principles.
- Create the technical vision and provide thought leadership for all integration technologies.
- Lead solutions architects to elicit technical requirements with limited information or guidance to architect solutions that meet both business and customer needs.
- Break complex and large technical solutions into manageable activities and prioritize.
- Lead the work on architecting and implementing the best DevOps processes for native Cloud development.
- Work with the data engineering team to architect pipelines and their DataOps/MLOps processes.
- Bring forth new ideas, approaches, technologies and best practices.
- Utilize SCRUM and Agile methodologies to complete tasks and accomplish workflows
- As a teammate at ATB Financial, you will agree to uphold our values and Code of Conduct.
Helpful skills & experience | What we’re looking for in the ideal candidate…
- Graduate degree in Engineering, Science or a related field at an accredited college or university or relevant experience.
- 5+ years work experience architecting software solutions or software systems architectures (preference for SaaS/platform based architectures).
- 2+ years experience leading architects and/or devops engineers.
- Experience with GCP cloud and deep understanding of cloud native and fundamentals of GCP. Bonus points if you are a certified GCP Professional Architect
- Hands on experience in cloud native architecture design, implementation of fault tolerant applications for cloud.
- Experience designing and building SOA, microservices, web services, API based architectures
- Experience developing platform based (SaaS, IaaS, PaaS) infrastructure
- Strong familiarity with modern architecture principles.
- Experience developing complete high performance, scalable applications.
- Knowledge of design patterns and frameworks.
- Technical Environment: GCP, Apigee, GKE
- Bonus points if you’ve built a startup, can demonstrate your unique contributions to open source projects and/or have experience with deep tech (AI/ML, Blockchain, Quantum, AR/
Perks & Benefits | What can ATB Ventures offer you?
Create the future: ATB Ventures offers a unique opportunity for creatives, innovators, and engineers alike to invent – and reinvent – how we experience technology. It provides the ability to work on a talented, anti-disciplinary team that rapidly experiments with ideas, products and technologies whilst being immersed in a culture that brings the best of both the banking and start-up worlds. Imagine excellent benefits, banking perks, opportunities for career advancement, and being at the forefront of the future – now you’re talking about a career with an organization and team that enables you to grow.
As an award-winning employer-of-choice – we have the best of the best working not only for Albertans, but the world.