We all have important information we need to manage, and protecting it should be easy. Over 100,000 businesses and millions of people log in to 1Password to unlock smart, simple access to everything they care about. Our vision is to create a safer, simpler digital future for everyone, and our culture values simplicity, honesty and a human-centric approach to solving problems. Come help us unlock peace of mind so everyone can stay safer online.
We are looking for a Director, Data Engineering to join our growing team of Data Engineers and Data Analysts to scale our infrastructure, tools, platforms and build a data culture that drives business impact.
The ideal candidate knows how to take vague problems and identify concrete solutions, can tie abstract concepts to business issues, and can convert technical debt into strategic opportunities for our company. You will work closely with leaders across Product, Sales, and Marketing to support and implement high-quality, data-driven decisions. You will partner Data Analytics, Data Science, Data Engineers, Engineers, Privacy and Security to ensure cross functional alignment in our efforts.
You’ll have a knack for establishing and building strategy at a rapidly growing Tech company. You’ll be able to help us build scalable, reliable infrastructure and data architecture, scale up our alerting and observability frameworks, and establish business processes to prevent data quality issues.
The right person for the job will apply their exhaustive knowledge of Data Engineering to solve real-world problems faced by our company and find opportunities for improvement across multiple projects, teams and business units.
This is a remote opportunity within Canada and the US.
What we’re looking for:
- Establishes a team strategy that will help us move to our next phase of growth by identifying complex, unsolved problems, and defining their solutions
- Proactively identifies and solves open-ended ambiguous problems with industry-leading solutions in Data
- Leads efforts to improve effectiveness of performance/progress measures, impact of delivery over time within Data
- Questions the status quo to generate new ideas, is open to challenges, and implements unique solutions; focuses on the best outcome for the company, rather than on ego.
- Has a comprehensive knowledge base in the data engineering world and augments the team’s experiences and skills with the latest training, technologies, and techniques.
- Is a compelling technical and people leader who openly seeks and shares information across teams and departments, coordinating and combining competencies for the best overall results.
- Executes to address the team’s internal and external needs/opportunities.
- Demonstrates an ability to establish relationships and build rapport in order to influence colleagues at all levels, uncover business or technical issues, and facilitate their resolution.
- Demonstrates the importance of celebrating wins and understanding opportunities to the managers they support
- Excels in all facets of verbal and written communication; leads and inspires the team via open communication, effective listening, and strong collaborative networks; has excellent negotiation skills, is an expert coordinator, and has an ability to orchestrate change through influence.
- Works effectively in the face of stress, ambiguity, difficult situations, and shifting priorities all while championing the long-term architectural view; understands the need to shift focus and priorities as required and successfully leads others through periods of change.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in a relevant field (Engineering, Mathematics, Data, Analytics, Statistics, Computer Science, etc..)
- 8+ years experience managing and developing teams
- Extensive experience in project management and execution
- Extensive knowledge of best-in-class tools/techniques/processes that help teams, platforms, infrastructure scale and grow
- Experience with cloud data platforms is a strong plus
What you can expect:
- Establish a Data Engineering, platform, and infrastructure strategy that will help us scale into our future
- Work with complex problems that are both technical and organizational
- Recruit, mentor and lead Data Engineers, Analytical Engineers, and Data Analysts
- An opportunity to have impact at the team, organization, and company level
- Design and build solutions that meet future demands of initiatives related to people, technology, budget and business
- Manage the roles and workflows of the team
- Establish effective organizational structures, anticipating or adopting to a changing environment
- Identify the best tools for our organization and help implement them