What you’ll do
In a few words…
Abarca is igniting a revolution in healthcare. We built our company on the belief that with smarter technology we are redefining pharmacy benefits, but this is just the beginning.
Abarca seeks that special someone who loves a balanced checkbook and keeps Quicken accounts just for fun, but also have a soft spot for the pharmacies. As our Controller, you will be responsible for the accounting operations of the company, developing and supplying monthly accounting and financials updates that are compliant with generally accepted accounting principles and maintaining an adequate system of accounting records. You and your team will compile, communicate, and track actual data performance of the financials and will develop, document, and provide accounting policies. You will serve as liaise between the bank, tax consultants, and external auditors. You shall become one with the Financial Planning Team, connecting and supporting them in every which way possible, ensuring accuracy in the story the numbers tell. Also, you will have under your purview the finance operations area which will require your public relations skills to connect with other departments to ensure compliance with Statutory, Regulatory and Medicare/Medicaid financial requirements, including pharmacy payments, DIR submission, DMR payments, General Adjustments. Unofficially, you shall be known as the Balance Sheet Guru, BSG for short. Expect to work hand-in-hand with the VP of Finance and Associate Director of Financial Planning.
The fundamentals for the job…
- Manage and oversee the daily operation of the accounting and finance operations departments.
- Coordinate and oversee monthly financial accounting closings.
- Ensure all accounting practices are following legal guidelines and established accounting principles and pronouncements.
- Protects assets by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing internal controls
- Guides financial decisions by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing policies and procedures
- Plan, coordinate, and execute annual external financial audits.
- Oversee billing and preparation of tax documentation.
- Be the main liaison between bank account managers, tax consultants, and external financial auditors.
- Prepare monthly expense account analyses and provide variance analysis for management review; (More balanced than tight-rope performers!).
- Identify and recommend, together with the Senior Accountant and Junior Accountants, expense reduction plans or options.
- Manage and oversee team’s operational responsibilities, supporting with roadblocks and re-evaluating priorities.
- Support on the creation of business requirements for the Financial Operations modules enhancements.
- Provide guidance and assistance on pharmacy inquiries related to payments, missing checks, remittance advices, among others.
- Partner with Technologies, Product Management, Compliance, Finance Planning and Treasury resources to collaboratively and rapidly deliver solutions to increase claims payable processing and reprocessing efficiency, compliance, and errors and complaints reduction.
- Responsible for preparing, reviewing, and submitting clients’ administrative billing and ensuring the collection on those billings
- Discuss and explain monthly actual financial results with the Associate Director of Financial Planning, the Treasury Associate Director and the VP of Finance.
- Provide information to management by assembling and summarizing data, preparing reports and presentations of findings, analyses, and recommendations (We expect balance sheets in these reports, of course!).
- Review the team’s work and recommend opportunities to improve effectiveness or standardization.
- Mentor and develop team’s Analysts on processes and procedures
- Oversee, coach and develop the team’s employees and promote Tribal – Stage 4 – Culture in the team.
What you’re made of
The bold requirements…
- Bachelor or Master’s Degree in Accounting, Math, Finance, or related field. (In lieu of a degree, equivalent relevant work experience may be considered.)
- A CPA or MBA would be a plus worthy of special coffee.
- 8+ years of experience in an analytical, audit, or finance-based role; Combined experience desirable;
- 5+ years of experience leading teams;
- Excellent presentation and analytical skills. We’re looking forward to these. They say you even make trailers of your presentations, so we anticipate them like movie premiers.
- Previous knowledge of Medicare and its nuances would be a double bonus.
- Previous knowledge of the Healthcare, Pharmacy, and Pharmacy Benefit Management industries, Medicare Part D, and CMS regulations.
- Your computer proficiency levels and Microsoft Office skills are par with Mr. Gates himself (Ok, maybe not “par”, but you get the idea.) and you know your way around the Internet much better than Google Maps knows the way around your town.
- Must have strong communications skills both oral and written..
- Must be authorized to work in US territory.
That something extra we´d love to see…
- Must be able to access and navigate each department at the organization’s facilities.
- Sedentary work that primarily involves sitting/standing.
The above description is not intended to limit the scope of the job or to exclude other duties not mentioned. It is not a final set of specifications for the position. It’s simply meant to give readers an idea of what the role entails.
Abarca Health LLC is an equal employment opportunity employer and participates in E-Verify. “Applicant must be a United States’ citizen. Abarca Health LLC does not this time currently sponsor employment visas”
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of gender, race/ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, or other protected group status.