Location: Poznan (Poland) or Remote
We’re looking for Talented Backend Software Engineers across numerous levels (Senior, Staff & Principal)
ExpressVPN is looking for Backend Software Engineers to join our global teams working on existing and new product lines. With your knowledge of backend software development, you'll work on designing, testing and building high quality microservices in a specific business domain. You have 3+ years of backend experience in a language such as Golang, Rust or Python, excellent communication skills and familiarity with TDD, continuous delivery and agile methodologies. Using these skills, you’ll work closely with other engineers, product owners and key stakeholders to deliver secure, resilient and scalable solutions.
What You’ll Do
You'd be on a team with a well-defined goal. Your team-members are other engineers, and likely a few people from other functions like product management, data analysis, and design. You and your team decide what to do to achieve your goals.
As a Backend Software Engineer, you're expected to:
- Express requirements as code. Otherwise known as “good automated testing at all levels of the pyramid.” We like TDD a lot.
- Design, test, build and operate backend microservices.
- Ensure code is high quality and easy to maintain.
- Practice continuous integration and delivery.
- Work with databases and object storage.
- Solve complex problems with elegant solutions.
- If you're on a team that operates a service: you'd also be expected to be on an on-call team, and your team is empowered to keep after-hours incidents below one per person per 3 months.
- Help grow your colleagues. Inspire, mentor and coach.
- Improve yourself. Raise your skill-levels and bring new approaches to your team.
Your success is measured by the pace and quality of the engineering solutions you deliver in your team. We define quality very broadly: it includes security, privacy, capacity, performance, reliability, cost-efficiency, etc.
We are open to varying degrees of experience, the more experienced you are the more we’ll expect to see your expertise show.
- Excellent English written and verbal communication skills.
- Familiarity with software development best practices including test driven development, continuous delivery and agile methodologies.
- 3+ years backend experience in a language such as Golang, Rust or Python.
- 3+ years experience working with databases and object storage such as MySQL, PostgreSQL and S3.
- Great interpersonal skills: Empathy, negotiation skills, problem-solving acumen, emotional intelligence.
- Solution driven with a track record of breaking down complex problems and measuring results.
- Eager to learn and improve your skill set.
Nice to have but not required
- Experience with distributed microservices architectures.
- Working knowledge of scalable architectures and performance optimization techniques for services that serve millions of requests per minute to millions of users across the world.
- Experience with the Amazon Web Services (AWS) stack.
- Experience using containers with Kubernetes or Docker.
- Familiarity with caches and message queues such as Redis and RabbitMQ.
- Knowledge of OKRs.
- Ability to participate in build versus buy decisions.
When it comes to hiring processes, “rigorous” and “opaque” are often mistakenly conflated. For us, it’s always a mutual exchange, so we think it’s important that candidates have a clear understanding of the process and what we’re looking for. Learn more about the hiring process by visiting our careers page.
Health and happiness go hand in hand, and we make every effort to support our team members in all facets of their lives—both inside and outside the office. Learn more about our employee benefits by visiting our careers page.
Before you apply
- At the moment, we do not sponsor visas in the UK and the EU. For Hong Kong, we require at least two years of working experience and a university degree in a related field. For Singapore, we can only sponsor visas for mid-career or above.
- Please upload your resume as a PDF and do not include any salary or compensation information in it.
ExpressVPN is one of the world’s leading providers of online privacy and security services for consumers. Started in 2009, we’ve grown to have millions of active paying customers, a team of more than 700 people worldwide, and a brand recognized by hundreds of millions of people in 18 languages and more than a hundred countries. We see huge growth in our industry, and are gaining market share through strong execution.