Neighborhoods.com is looking for a Backend Software Engineer to join a small and highly capable team responsible for ingesting MLS data to serve our internal and external customers. A successful candidate will be a great listener who can expertly decompose difficult problems and communicate proposed solutions to technical teammates and non-technical business stakeholders.
At Neighborhoods.com Engineering we value people who are capable of owning all aspects of the product and feature life cycles. Every engineer has a direct relationship with their products’ stakeholders. We strongly believe that The Best Solution can sprout from anywhere. Check out our Engineering Values to learn more about how we work.
What you'll be doing as a Software Engineer:
- Supporting MLS data normalization and ingestion.
- Developing new features for and maintaining the technical products that you own.
- Working with stakeholders to realize their wants and needs into technical solutions.
- Working with other engineers to integrate technical products you own with the ones that they do.
- Developing new technical products from the ground up that you will own.
- Building high performance microservice HTTP APIs on top of distributed systems.
- 4+ years of experience as a software engineer
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related fields, or equivalent enterprise software engineering experience
- Active listening skills
- Highly effective communication skills
- Technical skills required:
- modern relational and non-relational databases
- object oriented design patterns
- distributed version control systems (e.g. Git)
- peer review practices
- massively parallel distributed concurrency
- building highly distributed, eventually consistent systems
- microservice architecture
- unit, integration, performance, and load testing
- logstream concepts and tooling
- data visualization, monitoring, and alerting concepts and tooling
- dependency management systems
- dependency injection
Nice to Have – experience with:
- Modern PHP
- strict typing
- Symfony Components
- Postgres (and PostGIS) / MySQL
- Git (Github / Github Actions)
- AWS (SNS, SQS, S3, RDS, etc.)
- Docker / Kubernetes
- Linux (bonus for process control knowledge)
- Fluentd / Elasticsearch / Grafana / Kibana
- Code generation
- Database migrations as code
- New Relic / DataDog
- CI/CD (Jenkins, etc.)
- The standards: insurance, 401k with match, flexible PTO, and casual dress code
- Paid parental leave
- Remote-first workplace
- Company-supplied macbook and work-from-home budget
- Volunteer and charity opportunities
- Help make a difference in the lives of homeowners across the country
Neighborhoods.com is the first online real estate resource to put the neighborhood at the center of the home search. The platform invites visitors to imagine their life in a new area by providing a local’s perspective, including detailed descriptions and resident reviews of schools, amenities, and the surrounding community. With up-to-date listings, the company offers aspiring homeowners accurate and reliable information about market changes and new homes for sale. Neighborhoods.com and its network of real estate agents are licensed and knowledgeable experts that guide users through every step of the homebuying process—from the initial search to the closing table.
Neighborhoods.com is an equal opportunity employer for people from all different backgrounds. Qualified candidates are considered for employment without regard to ethnicity, race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, family status, or age. We strive to foster an inclusive environment that is comfortable for everyone. We will not tolerate harassment or discrimination of any kind.
We are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible to work in the United States. However, we are not able to sponsor visas.