Marqeta powers innovative payment solutions for many of the apps and services you enjoy daily. Our open API provides unprecedented flexibility and control for industry-leading companies such as Uber, Coinbase, J.P.Morgan, and Block, to manage payment operations in real-time.
Our team is a mix of industry experts and technology innovators who take a dynamic approach to solving challenging problems. Marqeta was named a 2022 Glassdoor Best Place to Work, highlighting our company culture and collaborative work environment. We are building a global team as diverse as the markets we serve and we’d love it if you joined us on our mission to change the way money moves.
We’re a remote-first company. You have the choice to work from wherever you’re happiest and most productive, whether that’s from home, a co-working space, or one of our four global offices, depending on your location. It’s uncommon for candidates to match all job requirements, but if you’re not far off, we want to hear from you.
Marqeta is looking for a highly motivated Account Executive who is passionate about scaling the success of our Fintech, Financial Institution and Embedded Finance businesses. This exciting role is ideal for individuals seeking to go deep in all aspects of complex business and technical engagements and will span multiple areas of development: (1) cultivating and managing relationships with executives and entrepreneurs seeking to innovate and disrupt B2B & consumer payments; (2) working closely with internal stakeholders in Product, Legal, Compliance and Delivery to define solutions that will empower our customers; and (3) originating new customer opportunities, responding to inbound opportunities, and shepherding deals from opening through to contract and closing stage.
The Business Development team at Marqeta focuses on the largest and most impactful commercial opportunities in Marqeta’s evolving business. These customers include challenger banks, fintech innovators and traditional financial institutions, all looking for solutions to launch, scale and continuously evolve their banking products and services. Key to this role is an ability to understand Marqeta's technology and how it brings value to the market, expertly communicate its benefits, and win the trust of the product and technology teams of our potential partners.
We're looking for a self-motivated, all-around athlete who is eager to learn about new businesses, technologies, and markets and possesses the business judgment and sales acumen to vett opportunities and close deals. In this role you will spend the first 6 months learning the ins and outs of Marqeta and our customers, supporting Team Leads on strategic projects, and building pipeline. Payments and card experience is a big plus but not a requirement to be successful in this role; just the ability and drive to get up the curve very quickly. You will also need to understand the basics of how SaaS and platform technology companies work, and be able to communicate technical and product benefits to both sophisticated and unsophisticated buyers.
What You'll Do
This role is about generating, validating and closing new opportunities while playing a key role supporting the Head of Commercial in setting the strategic vision for the business – here are a few key expectations:
- Qualify leads and prioritize customer opportunities: Serve as the primary point of contact for incoming prospects by identifying their needs and requirements, responding to requests for information, and vetting them against our current and future product offering.
- Run a Sales Process: Manage real customer opportunities through a sales process, from initial engagement to pricing discussions to final contract negotiations. At any given time, you will be responsible for managing accounts and working the opportunities in various stages of that process in Salesforce.
- Contracting: Work with our Legal team as required to shepherd both inbound and outbound opportunities through the contracting process, including negotiation and execution.
- Know the Tech: Quickly get up to speed on Marqeta's technical capabilities, the unique features and customer benefits our platform offers and how to speak with confidence, knowledge and credibility about what we bring to our customers.
- Sell the partnership vision: Work with internal SMEs to develop proposals and respond to RFIs/RFPs from prospects who are trying to understand what makes Marqeta’s platform and service offering so exceptional and differentiated.
What We're Looking For
- 2+ years of experience in sales, partnerships and/or strategic business development roles; payments, investment banking and strategic consulting backgrounds preferred but not required.
- Interest and understanding of the payments ecosystem is a plus, with bonus points for knowing the issuing side.
- Comfort with the unknown. We’re building a world-class platform but have to manage the expectations of both internal and external stakeholders. Our product roadmap is also constantly changing to reflect changing strategy and the competing needs of our customers.
- Familiarity and ease with the fintech ecosystem, B2B technology applications and how technology platforms serve customer businesses.
- Financial Acumen. The payments business and caliber of customer relationships necessitates complex deal structures. We’re looking for an individual who is comfortable and capable of evaluating and modeling customer proposals and resulting contract financial models.
- Confidence in serving as the face of Marqeta for prospective customers and partners who may comprise C-suite executives and entrepreneurs.
- Ability to prioritize, manage, and deliver on multiple projects simultaneously; highly motivated and able to work against aggressive schedules.
- Strong problem-solving skills with the ability to work cross-functionally to deliver on the customer’s needs.
- Superior communication skills (interpersonal, verbal, email, and presentation)
- Positive attitude, team player, adaptable, resourceful, and self-starter who is able to work independently.
- Bachelor’s Degree required
Benefits and Perks
- Flexible time off – take what you need
- Retirement savings program with company contribution
- Employee insurance premiums paid 100% + coverage for dependents and pets
- Family forming benefits including fertility support and up to 20 weeks Parental Leave
- Free therapy sessions, financial coaching, and a Wellness stipend
- Monthly stipend to support our hybrid work model
- Equity in a publicly-traded company
- Bi-annual “Hack Week” to support and reward innovation
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, Marqeta is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity and will not discriminate against an applicant on any legally-recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances.
Our Applicant and Candidate Privacy Notice applies to the personal data that you directly provide to us or that we collect during the application and candidate recruitment process.