Our Value Proposition:
Clearcover is a venture-backed technology start-up disrupting the trillion-dollar legacy insurance market. We’ve focused on building products that create confident, happy customers – and we’re flourishing. We believe in putting our people first, paying them well, and working together to solve tough problems. If you’d like a high-growth opportunity with an award-winning company, let’s chat.
In this role: You will report to our VP of Engineering, the Software Engineering Manager will work with the Product and Engineering teams to deeply understand our technical products and is accountable for the overall delivery and support of systems and features with the highest quality. This role will have director reporting responsibilities for 1-2 scrum teams.
What will you do?
- Lead 1-2 cross functional teams of engineers to design and build customer experiences
- Coach and mentor individual contributors
- Build measurable goals with your teams and direct reports and ensure they are meeting or exceeding those goals
- Embrace and champion agile development practices and function as the day to day scrum master on directly managed team(s)
- Execute end-to-end software development and deployment in an agile environment
- Foster a collaborative and inclusive team that helps each other with a willingness to learn and teach each other – within the team
- Iterate with our UX and Product teams in an agile environment to bring features from conception to launch
- Work with Product and Project Management to ensure high quality, timely output
- Help triage issues, track software defects, and ensure their timely resolution
- Promote simplicity in solving complex problems across our products and teams as we scale
- Mentor, coach, and grow engineers
- Play a key role in people-related initiatives including recruiting, onboarding, performance reviews, training, career advancement, etc.
What do you have?
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field. MS preferred.
- Experience in software design and development
- Experience managing a team of software engineers
- Deep understanding of cloud computing principles and practices
- Prove expertise in agile software development
- Experience hiring, mentoring, coaching and developing top engineering talent with a focus on increasing diverse perspectives
- Successful track record of managing small teams of engineers and project management skills
- Strong communication skills with the ability to understand and explain technical issues to a non-technical audience
- Ability to provide honest, direct and actionable feedback to the team and follow up with relevant coaching and guidance
- Experience with monolithic applications, service oriented distributed applications and preferably experience breaking up the best parts of a monolith into services
Nice to haves:
- Experience scaling engineering team
- Experience in a start-up environment
- Experience assessing scalability, performance and security
But wait, there’s more:
As a people-first company, your health and well-being is a priority at Clearcover. While we do offer medical (and cover the vast majority of the premium), dental, vision (and cover 100% of those premiums) and 401K (we contribute 3% even if you contribute nothing), we’ve curated a stack of perks and benefits that stretch beyond the expected. With over half of our employees remote to the Chicago HQ office, we paved the way for flexible work locations and continue to offer this flexibility. Our people also have access to unlimited vacation, monthly mental health workshops, discounted gym memberships, equity in the company and an annual bonus program. Plus, if Clearcover is available in your state, you could have access to an employee discount on auto-insurance! Excited to learn more? Complete the application below!
Did you know that women and minorities are less likely to apply to a position if they don't match 100% of the job qualifications? Don't let that be the reason you miss out on this opportunity! We encourage you to apply anyway. Don't count yourself out!