[As of June 2020, Quora has become a “remote-first” company. This position can be performed remotely from anywhere in the world, regardless of any location that might be specified above.]
The vast majority of human knowledge is still not on the internet. Most of it is trapped in the form of experience in people's heads, or buried in books and papers that only experts can access. More than a billion people use the internet, yet only a tiny fraction contribute their knowledge to it. We want to democratize access to knowledge of all kinds — from politics to painting, cooking to coding, etymology to experiences — so if someone out there knows something, anyone else can learn it. Our mission is to share and grow the world's knowledge, and we're building a world-class team to help us achieve this mission.
About the Team:
User Researchers at Quora use a multitude of qualitative and quantitative research methods to understand user behavior, identify problems, and discover strategic opportunities. Researchers collaborate with cross-functional product teams to use their findings to impact our product and improve the experience of millions of people who use Quora everyday.
About the Role:
Every day millions of people seek answers and share their knowledge through Quora. As a Senior User Researcher, you'll work closely with Product Managers, Product Designers, Engineers, and Data Scientists to shape this unique platform and grow the world's knowledge. You'll partner with teams to understand our users through discovering mental models, motivations, key behaviors and cultural norms. The goal of your research efforts and team collaborations will be to improve the product for millions of people all over the world and also influence Quora's strategic direction.
You have a strong User Experience Research background and passion for creating meaningful product experiences that work well. You thrive on collaborating with cross-functional peers to bring clarity to ambiguous problems. You have proven experience taking broad concepts and turning them into something that is useful, valuable, and delightful to users. You want to play a key role in developing and executing a research strategy. An ideal candidate will have experience researching monetization approaches for content creators including subscription models.
- Design and execute research for the most impact across the product development cycle using a wide variety of research methods
- Collaborate closely with cross-functional partners including Product Management, Design, Data, Engineering, Ads and Sales teams to identify and execute on important research questions
- Generate and communicate research insights to help product teams make confident decisions and build empathy for our users
- Compel product teams to take action on critical insights through deliberate communication and accountability
- Collaborate with Data Science to present complementary qualitative and quantitative insights
- Investigate and experiment with new research tools and methods
- Design and conduct user research studies, including surveys, in-depth interviews, field studies, focus groups, and concept/prototype testing
- Ability to be available for meetings and impromptu communication during Quora's “coordination hours” (Mon-Fri: 9am-3pm Pacific Time). Learn why here
- 4+ years of experience in user or design research
- Strong understanding of different research methods and mixed method approaches, ranging from formative to summative, quantitative to qualitative, and generative to evaluative
- Working knowledge of statistics and the principles of experiment design. Experience conveying research findings and implications to audiences while weighing tradeoffs
- Extensive experience with tools for recording, analyzing, storing, and sharing research, including data analytics and visualization tools
- Comfort with contextual-inquiry, user interviews, and other methods of ethnographic and generative research. As well as usability testing, accessibility reviews, and other methods of evaluative research
- Proven ability in partnering with cross-functional teams such as Design, Product Management, Engineering, and Clinical teams
- Currently has a Ph.D. in: HCI, cognitive science, psychology, anthropology, sociology, or other related domain
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: mobile, social media, user-generated content, online communities, monetization, Ads
- Experience researching monetization approaches for content creators
- Experience working in a remote-first workplace
- Experience conducting remote research
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) disclosure