At Mozilla, we take the Internet seriously, striving to build products that keep it open, accessible, and secure for everyone. We handle terabytes of data every day from millions of users to guide our decision-making processes. We need your help to enable the future of Mozilla in a way that makes us proud!
As a Data Engineer at Mozilla, you’ll be taking a lead role in a cross-functional team to ensure the quality of data and insights, from product instrumentation through to the applications we use to perform analysis. Check out the Data@Mozilla blog for more details on some of our work.
- You will join our team sharing responsibility for setting the vision and strategy for our multi-language, cross-platform, browser-scale data collection tools
- You will have significant impact on the effectiveness of the organization by overseeing major improvements to our data collection and analysis infrastructure through:
- Meeting with leaders throughout the organization to understand their data needs
- Translating those needs into practical requirements
- Designing and proposing systems to satisfy those requirements
- Leading and participating in the implementation of those systems
- You will design, build and apply systems and tools to empower product teams to effectively and autonomously collect data in their products
- You will work with data scientists to answer questions and guide product decisions
General Professional Requirements:
- Expertise with TypeScript, as well as one or more of the other programming languages used by our team (Python, C++, Rust)
- Strong software engineering fundamentals: modularity, abstraction, data structures, and algorithms
- Ability to work collaboratively with a distributed team
- Ability to effectively prioritize and direct work to maximize impact in meeting business needs
- Excellent communication skills
Our team requires skills in a variety of domains. Strong candidates will have most or all of the following skills and attributes:
- Use of data to answer specific questions and inform team decisions
- Experience navigating and working within large code-bases
- Experience with the implementation of functionalities that require changes to multiple systems (e.g. clients, ETLs)
- Familiarity with data modeling patterns and their suitability for specific use cases
- Ability to support and mentor other engineers in their growth
- Ability and willingness to learn other programming languages as needed
- Experience with front-end development
- Experience with data collection within products in production
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. When you work at Mozilla, you give yourself a chance to make a difference in the lives of Web users everywhere. And you give us a chance to make a difference in your life every single day. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.
Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging
Mozilla understands that valuing diverse creative practices and forms of knowledge are crucial to and enrich the company’s core mission. We encourage applications from everyone, including members of all equity-seeking communities, such as (but certainly not limited to) women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities and expressions.
We will ensure that qualified individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, as appropriate. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request accommodation.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race (including hairstyle and texture), religion (including religious grooming and dress practices), gender, gender identity, gender expression, color, national origin, pregnancy, ancestry, domestic partner status, disability, sexual orientation, age, genetic predisposition, medical condition, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other basis covered by applicable laws. Mozilla will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics or any other unlawful behavior, conduct, or purpose.