Updater is redefining how people move. Our technology processes millions of moves every year and provides applications that allow movers to seamlessly achieve all the tasks needed to move homes. Our lean team of product minded and collaborative engineers ship products that allow movers to accomplish everything from changing their addresses to setting up their utilities, insurance and TV & internet service for their new home.
As a Senior or Lead Backend Engineer, you’ll be building the APIs and services that power our products. If you love architecting elegant solutions, opening up black boxes and shipping well tested code, we need your help!
About the Role
- Collaborate daily with product, internal stakeholders, and other engineers to design and build APIs and services supporting all aspects of the business, from integrating with real estate partners to providing personalized recommendations to movers
- Ensure the creation of maintainable, extensible applications through solid architecture and infrastructure decisions
- Take responsibility for planning and execution of business-critical products
- Work with the devops and QA teams to own the quality, operations, and performance of your products
- Increase engineering velocity
- Improve system reliability
- Empathy: you strive to see the world from your teammates’ point of view in order to more effectively collaborate
- Humility: you have an opinion, but aren’t afraid to be proven wrong, and are open to suggestions on what tool or technique is best to most efficiently solve a problem
- Pragmatism: you understand that there is no perfect tech and make practical choices for solving the problem at hand
- Product focused: you know that the goal of software engineering is to ship products and are as concerned about program performance as code quality
- 6+ years development experience building backend components in at least one modern language such as Node.js, Ruby, Python, Scala, Go on a strong engineering team
- 4+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design of new and existing backend systems
- Experience building Docker images and using Docker for development and deployment
- Demonstrated ability to mentor and develop teammates
Updater makes moving easier for the 11 million households that relocate every year in the US. With Updater, users seamlessly forward mail, transfer utilities, connect TV and internet, and much more. Thousands of the most prominent real estate companies in the US (from real estate brokerages to multifamily and relocation companies) rely on Updater’s real estate products to save clients hours with a branded and personalized Updater moving experience.
Headquartered in New York City, Updater has raised over $250 million from leading investors, including SoftBank Capital, IA Ventures, Commerce Ventures, Second Century Ventures (the strategic investment arm of the National Association of Realtors®), and more. Updater has ranked on Crain's Best Places to Work in NYC in 2016, 2018, & 2021. For more information, please visit www.updater.com.
Updater is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.