Website Utility Warehouse
We are looking for experienced and innovative Data Engineers who are comfortable with a diverse range of data work, everything from designing complex data transformations in our data warehouse to coding and deploying apps that pull data from external APIs. We are looking for people who can demonstrate strong ownership resulting in high quality and valuable data products. Senior Data Engineers at Utility Warehouse are expected to play a leading role and to enjoy the challenge of helping to solve the complex data challenges that come from being the UK’s only multiservice utility provider. We are developing a diverse team of people who each bring their different strengths and approaches to our working community.
What we are working on
Our mission with data is to create value and impact for Utility Warehouse through scaling AI and automation across our organisation. For example, we are exploring our ability to drive product growth through machine learning, understanding our customers’ needs and improving customer interactions with UW using natural language processing. We are also using machine learning models in our partners app to help equip our partners with the information they need to expand our customer base. Our exciting AI and machine learning journey is under way and we are looking for motivated individuals to join us.
What you’ll be doing
– Designing and building scalable, reliable and robust data pipelines to acquire, ingest, and process data from multiple sources.
– Data modelling – bringing a structure to raw data that is aligned with business requirements and objectives.
– Maintaining a data product mindset – what needs to be improved next?
– Helping to create clarity by reducing unnecessary complexity.
– Partner with stakeholders to understand their needs and build impactful analytics solutions.
– Evaluating and proposing multiple approaches to a problem, identifying the wider business implications of each.
– Maintaining data platforms and curating existing data products.
– Providing support, tooling and solutions to Data Analysts and Data Scientists.
– Mentoring and guiding more junior Data Engineers.
– Sharing your knowledge and recent progress at the weekly Data Tribe meeting.
– Contributing to cross-functional problem-solving sessions.
What we are looking for
– Experience of data warehousing and building ETL/ELT pipelines.
– Experience writing high quality and maintainable code resulting in solid and reliable software.
– Strong SQL and data modelling skills.
– Ability to write code in Python or other languages commonly used to process data.
– Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
– Comfort with design, creation and management of complex datasets and data systems.
– Ability to continually optimise and improve data pipelines.
– Strong interpersonal skills incorporating leadership, mentoring, team working, knowledge sharing and helping to create a positive culture.
– Ability to prioritise and organise own workload in coordination with the team and stakeholders.
– Experience of working on a cloud-native data ecosystem.
– Experience of cloud data warehouses such as BigQuery or Snowflake.
– Infrastructure as Code and GitOps methods.
– Experience of cloud data warehouse transformation tools such as Dataform or dbt.
– Experience in Machine Learning operations would be beneficial.
Don’t worry if you don’t have the whole list. If you feel you have most of it and can learn the rest pretty quickly then please don’t hesitate to apply. Overall we are looking for imaginative and pragmatic problem-solvers who want to help make a positive impact with data at UW.
What we offer
– Competitive Salary, Benefits and stock options in a growing FTSE 250 business.
– Flexible working: We’ve got fully remote teams, onsite, early risers and late-night grinders, and parents on the school run. For us, it matters what we’re working on more than where/when.
– Work / Life balance that encourages you to switch off.
– Mentors and teachers aplenty; with so many brilliant minds in one place there is always someone you can lean on for support and guidance.
– Choose your own tools, whether it’s hardware or software you are empowered to choose the tools you need to get your job done.
– 25 days holiday + bank holidays.
– Staff discount on our utility services.
Technology at UW
Our philosophy revolves around getting things done. We deliver with small, fully autonomous teams that have real ownership of their products using a cutting edge stack in a best-idea-wins meritocracy.
We use the best tool for the job. You’ll have the freedom to explore and trial new tools and methods to see if there is a better option than at present.
We deploy to Kubernetes across AWS and GCP with some help from Terraform. We run a mature event-sourced microservice architecture using Kafka, NATS and gRPC.
As much as possible we code in the open on GitHub. If it can be open-sourced, it shall. If we can submit a PR instead of building our own, we will.
About Utility Warehouse
Utility Warehouse is an award-winning multi-utility provider, our core offering is simple: all your utilities, one monthly bill. Our network of 45,000 partners adds the human touch to our delivery, helps us get the word out to our existing members and bring in new ones. We may be a FTSE 250 Company but we are far from a corporate monolith, we don’t dictate or micromanage, we want our teams to be autonomous, proactive and self-organising. We do love open source and are actively encouraging contributions back to the community. You can check our labs where we maintain fully supported open-source projects at https://github.com/uw-labs and some code in the open repositories at https://github.com/utilitywarehouse
We’ve got the culture and focus of the earliest stage startups with the resources and strength of a loved and profitable brand. Our eyes are on meteoric growth over the next few years. All the pieces to make it happen are here, we need you to help us put them together.
At Utility Warehouse, we are committed to hiring and cultivating a diverse team. If you are on the fence about whether you would be successful working with us, please apply anyway!